Chapter 39: Boyd's Character Development

Boyd sighed. "Mom... I don't need the crust of my bagel peeled off... that's not how it works." He didn't want to be rude, but he really wanted Ellie to stop. For one, if you took off the 'crust', the majority of the bagel was gone, and secondly, people at the hotel breakfast area were staring.

Ellie shook her head. "I know you do not like crusts so I am taking it off and that is that."

He sighed, again. "I may not have liked crusts on my sandwiches before, but I'm growing up. It's not that big of a deal. And... that's a bagel. Not a sandwich."

She paused and looked at him for a moment, finally putting the bagel back on the plate. This was the first time Boyd was being confrontational and she had to say she was impressed. Not enough to get her to stop though because this is Ellie we're talking about. "You wanted the crust from your food peeled only a few months ago."

"I know but things change, mom. I've been through a lot in the past few months. I'm growing up."

She studied his face for a moment before picking the bagel back up and continuing to 'peel' it. "I am still taking off the crust."

"Mom..."

Mark laughed and took a photo of the bagel to post on Twitter, earning a glare, that's right, a glare, from Boyd. But no one seemed to notice.

Mark also planned on lowkey making fun of Boyd in the caption, calling him a baby, but of course he wasn't going to mention Boyd's name. Maybe. Mark is a dick so whatever.

Gloria finally made her way to the breakfast area inside the hotel, immediately spotting Mark, Ellie, and Boyd from across the room. She also noticed that Gyro wasn't with them or anywhere in the room for that matter. She figured that he must've gone to stay somewhere else for the night to be alone. He's been through a lot and rooming with Mark Beaks wouldn't help anything so she couldn't really blame him. When she got to their table, Gloria noticed Ellie's engagement ring on her finger and smiled. If all of this shit wasn't going down right now she would be very excited for Ellie and help celebrate.

Gloria took one of the empty chairs at their table and sat down to make an appearance before she would get up again to grab breakfast. She smiled at everyone, but mostly just Ellie and Boyd. "Good morning, guys."

"...morning." Boyd muttered.

Gloria noticed the attitude shift and then looked over at Ellie who was peeling the crust off of a literal bagel. Yeah, that checked out why Boyd was pissed.

"Good morning, Gloria. How are you?" Ellie shifted her gaze to the empty seat next to Gloria. "Gyro is not with you still?"

"Good fucking riddance." Mark started chuckling to himself, not because of Gyro being gone, but because of all the feedback he was getting on the whole bagel thing on twitter.

Gloria ignored Mark and shook her head "No. I guess he didn't come back at all during the night. I'm trying to not be too worried because I know he needs to be alone but..." She trailed off.

"I am sure he is fine. We have plot protection." Ellie pointed out. The looks she got meant no one knew what she was talking about so she just shrugged. "Nevermind. Here you go, Boyd." She slid over the bagel and, to be honest, Boyd didn't really want it anymore.

"We should be worried. We saw two of the gang members at the cemetery yesterday!" Boyd looked between Ellie and Mark like they were insane, which they were, for not pointing it out before he looked over at Gloria.

"Oh, yes. That did happen. I had forgotten." Ellie looked up at Gloria as well. "No worries. I will stab them."

"Mom!"