Chapter 49: Mark's Robo-Racism

Gloria finally decided to walk back to her and Gyro's hotel room after sitting at the bar for longer than she originally planned. She checked her phone for the first time since she even showed up to the bar, The first text was from Gyro telling her the hotel number. The other seven were also from Gyro, at different times, wondering if she was okay. She told him that she would let him know if she was okay and it totally slipped her mind to text him. After paying for the one drink she had that entire night, she got up and started towards the elevator to head to her room.

When Gloria finally reached her hotel room, she noticed Gyro had propped the door open so she could get in. She wasn't sure if he fell asleep or not so she quietly snuck into the room, closing and locking the door behind her. She was exhausted and emotionally drained. Her whole body felt numb as she fell onto the bed.

The bathroom door immediately swung open and he popped his head out with a toothbrush in his mouth. "Gloria?!" He wasn't understandable, but Gloria could tell he was calling her name. "Oh shit!"

He shot his head back into the bathroom to finish brushing his teeth and doing whatever hygienic shit he was doing before running to her aid like the asshole he was. Listen, if he was going to comfort someone, he had to be clean.

It took him a literal five minutes until he ran over to her side, sitting on the bed. "Are you alright?! Are you hurt?! I was getting ready to search the hotel for you! Why weren't you answering my texts?!"

She groaned and pulled herself up from lying on the bed so she was sitting up. "I'm fine, I'm fine..." No she wasn't fine, but she wasn't physically hurt or drunk. "I'm sorry I didn't answer any of your texts. Um... s-something came up." She knew this conversation was going to happen sooner or later, and even after sitting at the bar for hours trying to figure everything out, she was still at a loss for words.

"What came up?" Gyro didn't know how to feel about how ominous Gloria left that statement.

He could tell she was in deep thought so he got up to close the suite's curtains to block the view of the city, something he had forgotten to do prior, before sitting back down next to Gloria and laying a hand on her knee in a sorry attempt at comfort. He always got nervous with these types of things and should've been better at comforting her by now, but sadly he wasn't.

It took her a moment to respond. She started tearing up all over again. "It's Mia, Gyro. She isn't dead. She's here. I saw her. In the bar." She covered her face with her hands, practically clawing at her forehead. "That fuckface lied to me! Telling me that she was dead! I should've known! Mia has been out here this whole time looking for me and now she's stuck here just how I was except worse." Her voice was raised, but her anger wasn't directed at Gyro. "She's upset, scared, and lost and it's all my fucking fault!" Her anger turned into sadness, with her voice now starting to crack with more tears streaming down her face. She looked like a mess.

It took Gyro a moment to realize who she was talking about. Mia didn't ring a bell at first but when it finally struck, his hands turned cold. It was very foreboding and his mind couldn't process what emotion he was feeling. But what he did know was seeing Gloria this upset, which had been happening more and more often lately, tore him up inside.

He grabbed her hands, despite his own being stone cold, and pried them away from her forehead just so she didn't accidentally scratch it up. "Are you sure it was her?" He whispered. Gyro would never doubt Gloria, but he had no idea if she was wasted or not.

She nodded. "Yes, it's her. I had my doubts at first too but... It's her." She held onto Gyro's hand tightly for some sort of comfort. She stared into his eyes, hoping he would have some sort of solution for her. "I don't know what to do, Gyro. She left before I could even help her. I can't leave Vegas until I know that she's out of here too. I just can't. I already ruined her life so much, I can't let this continue." The thought of Boyd being alone in Duckburg came to mind again. She was torn and she knew she wasn't making Gyro's life any easier. She wanted to go home and find Boyd but she couldn't do that now knowing that Mia was in Vegas.