Chapter 53: Launchpad Dies Again

After Mark had his temper tantrum in his room, slept, and then had another temper tantrum, he finally decided that he needed the hard evidence that he really did lose his memories. He jumped on his bed and opened up Twitter and started to scroll through his profile. Swiping through hundreds of tweets that he had made in the past few days, hoping he could find something older that may help him.

This is Mark Beaks we're talking about so it took him a while but he finally found what he was looking for. There was a photo that he posted of him and Ellie together with the caption talking about their recent engagement. She was telling the truth.

He stared at the picture for a minute. They looked happy together. He kept looking at the date on the corner of the post and sure enough it was posted weeks ago.

He kept scrolling, looking for more proof.

There was another photo of him and Ellie together but this time there was a kid with them that looked just like Mark. He remembered Boyd from Doofus Drake's awful birthday party but that was about it. He kept scrolling. More Boyd pictures.

He stopped at this one photo taken in Florida. It was of him, Ellie and Boyd all wearing matching Hawaiian print shirts. He remembered this! He remembered that the photo was taken at the beach right before they left to get Boyd ice cream. It was a sunny day. He was complaining about the heat like a little bitch. Well, he didn't think he was a little bitch but whatever.

Mark started to remember Florida. He remembered Boyd and Ellie and how there was something to do with a falling out on his behalf. He traced those negative feelings back to the cruise. There were still lots of empty patches here and there but he was starting to remember the timeline. There were so many events that he lost: Agartha, Camp GodGold, his mother's house, Steelbeak, the cruise, Tampa, Savannah, Cincinnati, it was all coming back to him now.

With no one around, he didn't hold back his tears. All of the grief and memories that he lost all came flooding back in an instant. It was almost too much to handle. He went through so much in the past year.

The more he looked back, the more he remembered. He would get random flashbacks here and there from different adventures but he was able to pinpoint when exactly they happened. He kept scrolling through his photos. More photos with different backgrounds behind him. Each one sparked another memory. With his vision starting to blur from all the tears, he wiped them away with his sleeve so he could continue to look.

Mark sat on his bed for a solid hour, just scrolling through old photos and wiping away his tears. The entire hotel room was silent with the exception of Mark's occasional sniffling. When he felt like he'd seen enough he stuffed his phone in his pocket and got up from his bed. He flung open his hotel door and ran to find Ellie.

He stopped and practically slammed the palm of his hand on his forehead. It was fucking 3 AM. He didn't need to go running around like an idiot, she would just be down the hall in her own hotel room.

Mark literally just walked a few doors down, taking him less than fifteen seconds, and lightly knocked.

If she wasn't in her hotel room at this time he had no fucking idea where she would be. Maybe with Gyro and Gloria? Ew. Gyro. Yeah recalling all the adventures with him tagging along wasn't all that great. At least he wasn't in Agartha cuz, like, damn.

After a minute he knocked again, starting to get worried, but that didn't last long because the door unlocked and slowly opened after the third time he 'politely' pounded on the door.

It was obvious he had just woken her up from her shut down state because her hair was a mess and she looked a little dazed and out of it. Not that robots could get tired but she was still waking up, or 'powering on', however that weird shit worked.