⚜️Chapitre vingt-neuf⚜️

Garde la tête haute

Keep your head up

┏━━━━━━༻♔༺━━━━━━┓

"Such a thing is possible?"

Lucy nodded to Envy as the latter stared off into the distance. Even I needed some time to sink all the information thrown our way. This was my last card. If I failed now, I would have to face my end with no resistance.

I should have at least told the Virtues about this before coming here in haste.

"I consider your silence as acceptance to search the past," God announced as the four of us sat around the meeting table. "Where do you want to start?"

I thought about it for a moment and nodded to myself before giving my answer. Envy still stayed silent.

"Very well." God nodded before Lucy and him stood up. "Remember, you'll be in a mix of illusion and reality. It will be like watching a movie."

"Close your eyes," Lucy ordered and I did as told, my rapid heartbeat being the only thing I could feel.

Gusts of wind blew past me as my surroundings seemed to shift. My throat dried up and I had to swallow the impending fear while keeping my eyes shut.

"Taehyung!"

My eyes snapped open when I heard my own voice, and I found myself in a school hallway. Not just any school hallway. It was my own high school.

Everything felt real.

The sunlight through the windows, the footsteps vibrating against the wooden floor, the loud chatters of students, and the air I could breathe freely. It was all real.

And when I whipped my head around, I was standing there in my school uniform. My hair was black, flowing down my shoulders, my forehead covered with my fringes, and my dark eyes filled with curiosity. The me from the past... She was real. Realer than I imagined.

Looking around, I saw Envy staring at her with wide eyes. And looking further away, I stopped breathing when my eyes fell on him.

He looked just the same as I remembered, just the same as the painting. The younger version of him right now.

I lifted my hand to touch him, but I remembered that I couldn't. This was just a memory. An illusion.

My younger version walked past me and faced him as he looked at her apathetically. Memories washed over me where Taehyung used to ignore my advances to become his friend any chance I got.

Envy seemed to have frozen in place, unable to take his eyes off the two.

"What did you want?"

Taehyung's soft voice snapped my head towards him. My own chuckle followed and the girl before me presented him the pink box in her hand.

"My father tried making some macarons, but he ended up making too many, so I'm handing out some to my classmates."

God was right. It was just like a movie. The one of which I knew the lines to, slipping in and out of my mind.

My lips tugged upwards when Taehyung took the box of macarons before mumbling, "thank you".