⚜️Chapitre dix-neuf⚜️

La douleur exquise

The heart-wrenching pain of wanting the affection of someone unattainable

┏━━━━━━༻♔༺━━━━━━┓

Guffaws convulsed my body and I nearly split my sides laughing. "I can't believe you actually insulted his grandma!"

Envy shoved me, nearly making me trip as I couldn't see where I was walking. "Oh shut up. I never learned Italian well and you know that."

"But you should be speaking every language fluently, genius. Didn't your lord give you that ability or what?"

He frowned with a small pout before walking off in front of me. "I panicked, okay?! That man was intimidatingly good looking and was trying to flirt with me... What was I supposed to do?"

"Flirt back?" I snorted.

Envy threw me the stink eye over his shoulder. "And you're God's favorite?"

"God loves each one of us equally." I shrugged. "Does Lucifer pick favorites?"

"It changes."

I nodded and followed him past dozens of houses of various vivid colors. When a sense of familiarity took hold of me as we walked the streets I used to skip down when I was alive, I recalled the memories buried deep within my heart. Time had blurred those memories but as my feelings were kindled once again, so was my past.

"There it is."

I snapped back to reality and followed his hand that pointed at a sign that said 'Crepuscolo' as we turned a corner. I never visited that restaurant but I let Envy take us somewhere for once after he complained about one of my restaurant choices. It wasn't my fault the salad had worms in it.

"Table for two."

We followed the restaurant employee to a table near the window and I took notice of how empty the place was, save for an old couple at the other end. The waiter came to place a basket of bread and butter before walking away.

"I guess since the restaurant's name is 'Twilight', there's almost no one around the morning?" I asked, tearing a small piece of the bread before eating it. "My! It's delicious!"

"I guess," Envy said, reaching for the bread, too. "Oh! Maybe we should just order more bread instead."

I chuckled with him before scanning the menu. All the familiar dish names made my laugh die down quickly and a dull ache to settle in my chest. They took me back to centuries ago, back to my family dinner table.

"Risotto alla Milanese," dad boasted as he placed the vibrant yellow dishes in front of mom and I with a grin.

"Is that alien language?" I giggled.

He ruffled my hair, laughing. "It's Italian, my sweetie pie."

"Oh! But then I only know pizza, dad. Is this good?"

"Your dad is a renowned cook specialized in European dishes," mom said, taking a spoonful with a smile. "No need to worry, Yuni."

"Of course."

I had forgotten how my father used to cook new dishes he learned during the weekends. I had forgotten the times we all laughed together, the warmth I would get, the homely taste and the wholeness of it all.