⚜️Chapitre quatre⚜️

Esclave du passé

Slave to the past

┏━━━━━━༻♔༺━━━━━━┓

"I offer this to thee."

Slurring his words and grinning from ear to ear, Gluttony presented me with another glass of reeking liquor filled to the brim, and I couldn't help but scowl at the drunk man whose face was as pink as his hair.

"Bro, tone it down, will ya? What good will getting drunk do? We're not even humans," I scolded him, snatching the glass to throw it away somewhere in the darkly lit hall room. He wasn't even fazed since he could use his power and bring out another drink out of thin air without breaking a sweat.

"Intoxication never discriminates," the older man proudly stated, earning cheers from the other four Sins who weren't entirely sober after chugging a few glasses. "Just because we're not humans doesn't mean we can't be deprived of our senses once in a while. This is liberation, Taehyung, embrace it."

"Liberation be damned," I spat, lifting my legs up to cross them over the dinner table. "Sooner or later you'll sober up and drown in your misery again. What's new?"

Since when did our 'family dinner' tradition turn into 'take a shot every time you feel sad' party? It was pitiful. Us, Sins were pitiful.

Hell creatures who led humans astray, having them commit sins to torment them in the end — that's us. Frozen in time, unable to escape the endless pain of regret, despair and condemnation — that's also us. If we lost one of these, we would be losing our sanity. We would be losing ourselves.

The sole purpose of our existence was to make people sin. If we couldn't, we wouldn't be needed anymore.

"Centuries of service is still better than burning in hell," Sloth sighed, seemingly the most sober out of all of us, staring into the distance with a ponderous look, features delusively placid. "... or being erased from existence like her."

"Don't speak of her," Greed adjured, eyes boring holes in the dark haired man's head. If anyone was deeply affected by her disappearance the most, it was him. "We agreed to never do that, didn't we?"

The elated buzz in the air dampened instantly. The dim lighting of the chandelier above us seemed to have dulled, each of our grim expression darkened the room. Unspoken words lingered among us, silence occupying the deafeningly quiet room.

And here I thought I could take a break from the noises of my mind with this dinner.

"Who's up for charades?" Wrath spoke up, standing up from his chair and glancing at everyone with pleading eyes.

"Taehyung will use his shapeshifting and cheat again," Greed whined, pointing at me with a pout. "No powers this time."

A rumble of laughter left me and I eyed everyone who was pretty much sober at that point with a taunting smirk. "Please. You will bite dirt even if I don't use my power."

"Oh, it is on," Pride chuckled, all pumped up, but if I were to be honest, he was the worst at this game.

Le point de vue de Seoyun

Seoyun's POV

Heaven was divine.