⚜️Chapitre vingt-sept⚜️

Je crois en vous

I believe in you

┏━━━━━━༻♔༺━━━━━━┓

"Dearest sisters..."

"And brother," Diligence coughed, interrupting Humility for a second.

"...and brother," the gray haired man sighed. "This is a formal meeting. We are all aware of Kindness's situation regarding the agreement she has with the Sin of Envy."

The Virtues glanced at me and I swallowed thickly. I knew this meeting was about me.

"We're here to discuss about it because..." Humility heaved a deep sigh and turned to me. "I'm worried about you, Kindness. We all are... There's not much time left, and we thought we should leave this to you but we can't."

Biting my lips, I looked down at my interlocked fingers on my lap. "I'm sorry..."

"You're very important to us," Patience said, her voice brittle. "We all know what happened when one of us made an agreement before... We're all very scared..."

"Not to mention, your time is nearly up," Temperance raised her voice as if forcing her tears at bay. "How much progress did you make? Is it... unlikely that you'll find a human?"

With trembling hands, I clenched the material of my skirt. My lips were burning from all the biting and skins ripping.

Even without me saying, they knew it.

It was upsetting how I had them distressed over my situation. Like a nuisance.

"Can't we make an agreement to nullify this one? Or at least change the conditions to-"

"No more agreements," Humility silenced Charity, slamming his hands on the round table, making me jolt. "Agreements among us are strictly and irreversibly binding and not amendable. We can't change anything. Which is why Kindness is in serious danger."

Silence drowned the whole room.

The only sound was the turbulence of my heart beating in my ears.

"Then, what should we do?" Charity whimpered. "We still have time! It's just one human we have to find. Tell us what we should do, Humility, please!"

"You shouldn't do anything," I finally gathered enough courage to speak, turning all of their heads to myself. Their expressions were heartbreaking to say the least. "This is what I tangled myself in. I'm extremely grateful that you're all worried, but... I have to deal with it myself."

"Kindness..."

"Don't beat yourselves over this." I smiled softly. "It's already enough that you care about me, guys. I'll do whatever I can, so just leave it to me."

"Excuse my intrusion."

The door suddenly opened and God walked in, a little distraught. "Apologies for being late to the meeting. Please continue."

Everyone fell silent, glancing at each other, waiting for anyone to say something. I immediately stood up before anyone could. There was nothing left to say anyway.

"The meeting is actually over." I scanned the others with a small smile. "Right, guys?"

Another beat of silence passed as everyone stared blankly at nothing.