⚜️Chapitre onze⚜️

Joie de vivre

Joy of living

┏━━━━━━༻♔༺━━━━━━┓

Classical music was soothing the overwhelmingly posh atmosphere of the restaurant. For a place that was holding over fifty people, it was rather serene with the piano notes overruling conversations. The numerous chandeliers hanging overhead were shining brighter than the soft glows of the sun sauntering in through the tall windows that surrounded me.

I didn't understand what it was that I loved about the sun during this hour, but I sat next to the window with warmth seeping into my skin. The feeling was intensified. I felt more... alive.

People sitting around the mahogany tables and scrolling through their phones were dressed in formal attire, expensive and stylish ones. The type of clothes my mother used to make, so these people were filthy rich. Nothing unexpected there since the hotel itself was not affordable for an average person.

A bonsai tree, a rose bouquet in a glass bowl, a small vase with blue decorations, plates and silver utensils rested on the table before me like every other table there. The aesthetics of it was definitely pleasing, alleviating the migraine I had after waking up even a little. I reminded myself not to sleep unless it's nighttime because damn, daytime sleep was one way ticket to agony-land.

After calling for the waiter and ordering a huge platter of seafood, I rested my head on my chair and settled my gaze at the people bustling  about. The streets were busy. A normal day in a normal world. Boys in school uniforms were laughing with each other. Girls, too, were chatting with their friends. Children were bouncing with their hands in their parents'.

A normal day...

"Ah!"

A pained wince prompted me to turn to the source of the sound. Envy, dressed in a plain white t-shirt and dress pants, plopped down on the chair in front of me with a grimace.

"Slept well?"

His pale lips turned downward as he groaned. "Hardly. It's hard to relax when your muscles are throbbing like you're dying."

"We won't die," I sighed, watching him rub his sides.

He forced a smile. "Touché."

"Extra care wouldn't hurt while we're outside," I mumbled, turning to the window. Men and women all walked in a specific direction, most of them probably going home after a long day. "It's not like we're invisible to others now. We're here like any other human."

"Alright, alright. Don't rebuke me as if it's your life purpose," he whined, hissing in pain and slumping back in his chair. "Let me breathe for a sec."

I bit back my words. Rebuking him just might had actually become my life purpose.

The warmth of the sun was no more and the sky was painted darker shades of blue. The clustered buildings of all heights were twinkling with yellow squares. The world was lulling into the evening.

Clangs of metal tableware interrupted my musings. A huge platter with all types of seafood, bigger than I expected, was placed on the table between Envy and I. I had a hard time suppressing my laugh after seeing Envy's eyes bulge out.

Thanking the waiter as he left, I grabbed my fork and put some shrimps on my plate. My mouth was watering at the sight and it never happened before. Spending the whole day without eating anything, I was quick to shove the food into my mouth.