⚜️Chapitre douze⚜️

Derriére des portes closes

Behind closed doors

┏━━━━━━༻♔༺━━━━━━┓

"Why are you dressed like you're on a red carpet?"

The ridiculously overbearing man model-walked out of his hotel room with designer clothes, emerald turtleneck under his coffee brown suit, and a sass that rivaled drag queens'. It was a pity that I only had two eyes to roll at this man.

Envy fixed his wristwatch and raised an eyebrow at me while I huffed, "Couldn't you have dressed in something simple? Like jeans shirt or something normal?"

"Never," he immediately denied with an amused smirk and placed his hands on his hips under his jacket, looking like a haughty model. "Besides we're meeting a celebrity. I'm sure he or she would be dressed in the same stylish clothes so why scold me, sweetie?"

With an exasperated groan, I harshly tugged his arm, hoping that I was ruining the fabric, and dragged him towards the elevator. "You're unbelievable."

"That's why I'm so envied," he said all too casually but I wasn't one to treat it casually. A faint tug in my chest had me feeling unsettled, but I didn't let it shatter the frown I wore.

The door closed after we walked into the elevator and uncomfortable silence filled the air. I scratched the back of my hand, waiting impatiently as the floor number decreased painfully slowly next to the door.

All of a sudden, the silent man beside me gasped, turning to me, "Wait... we're walking there?"

"Yes, like any other human does," I stated as a matter of fact. "We must blend in, obviously, so you better get used to walking whether you like it or not. Damn it, Envy, what were you doing when God explained everything about getting human qualities? Were you even listening?"

"Hey hey, don't castigate me. I'm just making sure," he protested, crossing his arms, his deep, domineering voice turning meek. "And tone down with the cursing, will ya? Does God even know you're such a potty mouth?"

My jaw tightened. "Why? You think I don't deserve to be in heaven when I'm so rude and coarse?"

His brows knitted together just when the door opened and I walked out without waiting for an answer. I didn't want an answer.

And I was relieved that I didn't get one in the end.

A number of other hotel residents clad in expensive suits passed us by in the entrance hall as we walked around the enormous fountain, my sneakers silent while his derbies made harsh clicking sounds against the marble floor, and reached the main entrance. It was impossible to ignore the lingering stares of women who were practically stripping Envy with their eyes. Men were secretly scrutinizing him with envious looks.

"Gosh darn, En- Tae!" I snapped as soon as we left the hotel, making him flinch.

"What? What's wrong?" His eyes rounded innocently and I knew he was actually clueless since he didn't pay attention to his surroundings.

I took a deep breath and let it out slowly to blow off some steam, and calmly stated, "I'm fine. We're going to an apartment where celebrities like actors and singers reside on every floor. Luckily, it's not far from here. We're already in the wealthy neighborhood."