⚜️Chapitre vingt-deux⚜️

Le temps ne peut jamais guérir une âme brisée

Time can never heal a broken soul

┏━━━━━━༻♔༺━━━━━━┓

Taehyung wasn't himself.

Though he had committed foul deeds ever since he became a Deadly Sin, there would still be a hint of guilt and regret in his gaze. There was still a trace of his old self that I held onto.

But when he left my room just now...

There was absolute madness blazing in his darkened eyes, coated green with envy.

I was terrified... that he was the pure embodiment of Envy.

Darkness had already fallen when I ran out of the hotel we were staying in. Pitch black tall blocks shimmered with warm colors of yellow, orange and red as I ran past. The air was crisp, freezing and burning my lungs as I panted.

My feet took me to wherever they could on their own. My mind was a blur. My heart was a mess.

Please don't do it.

Please let me get there in time!

I gasped when I finally spotted the familiar green hair and blue jacket Envy was wearing illuminated by the cafe lights he was about to enter. My breath hitched when what looked like a knife glinted in his hand.

Even when my throat was aching, I inhaled deeply to shout as loud as I could to reach his ears.

"Taehyung!"

He flinched but didn't stop walking. The insanity was still evident in his narrowed eyes.

"Stop!"

It dawned upon me that I wasn't human and I teleported in front of him at once to grab him and jump to an empty street. When he tried to teleport back, I grabbed his collars to throw him to the ground and seized the knife before flinging it across the street.

"Get off me!" He growled and it sent a surge of fear up my spine.

I tightened my hold on his arms. "What are you doing?! A knife?! Are you seriously out of your mind?!"

I yelped when he suddenly threw me off himself in a blink of an eye but I quickly stood back on my feet to face him.

"I'm the sanest I have ever been right now," he snarled, stepping closer to me with his eyes swirling with green haze, burning into mine. "This is what I should have done a long long long time ago. It's long overdue."

"Why?!" I whimpered, balling my fists and narrowing my eyes at him. "If it's been such a long time since you should have done it, you should have forgotten that grudge already-"

"I haven't!"

Flinching, I stumbled backwards when he took a forceful step towards me, gritting his teeth. His composed expression distorted into a furious one.

"Time has been nothing but cruel to me and this need to watch others, especially him and you suffering just kept growing and growing. I'm already in hell! And I can never be 'sane' as you would describe. Ever!"

I bit my lips to hold in the tears that were brimming in my tired eyes. "Taehyung..."

"I have never been envious of others. Until you..." His eyes wavered and he took a deep breath before settling his gaze somewhere behind me. "I envy everyone else and they all disgust me. I just want to see them be tortured by my very own hands before and after death. So don't you try and interfere again!"

To my shock, he took out another knife from his jacket pocket.

I grabbed his wrist, hardening my stare. "You can't."

"I said 'don't'," he warned.

"I can't let you do that as long as I'm here, so go ahead." Gripping his hand tighter, I brought it up to point the knife at my chest. "Stab me if you want to kill him. I won't let you take an innocent life."

For a silent moment as tension hung in the air, Envy watched me in what I thought was disbelief.

"You're still defending him..." He whispered, eyes suddenly glossing over. "How are you the Virtue of Kindness when you're so cruel? What am I to you? No. What was I to you when you were everything to me?"

"What's in the past is in the past. You shouldn't let it resurface and hurt you."

I said that but I was the one still hung up on the past. The guilt was heavier now seeing him in pain from what I did.

He let out humorless chuckles. "Are you kidding?"

"No matter what my answer is, it won't do anything to help your situation. Killing Insoo won't help your situation, either." A tear rolled down my cheek before I could wipe it. "I know you're in pain, I know full well. That's why I'm trying. Damn it, I'm trying to have you reborn! But if you take an innocent life, I can never do that. You must refrain from ending his bloodline for your own sake, Taehyung."

His grip on the knife loosened and he caught his lower lip between his teeth as if to stop it from trembling.

"And if that doesn't work, at the end of this one year period of the agreement, I will be erased." I forced a smile. "That might help your pain."

Either way, the agreement was for him. I was in it for him.

"I will get what you think I deserve."

His eyes never left me, but the green color swirling in them was no longer present.

"So please behave yourself for the few months that are left."

I closed my eyes, waiting for his response. The air was no longer crisp and painful. It was soothing.

"What the heck am I seeing right now?!"

My eyes snapped open at the familiar, husky voice that belonged to one of the other Sins to see Sloth glaring at us from a few feet away.

"I thought you two were on a peace treaty or something. Are you trying to kill her, Envy? That's not how it works even if you two are basically humans now."

Envy retreated his hand and put the knife back in his pocket before turning to Sloth who was walking towards him now with a disappointed frown.

"As appealing as that is, no, it's just an argument." He looked back at me, expressionless before grabbing Sloth's arm. "Nothing more. Now I'm tired."

In a blink, the two disappeared and I dropped to my knees. I knew he didn't go after Insoo and I was right after briefly teleporting to check him at the cafe.

I needed some time alone to gather myself. A while passed as my mind flooded with unwanted thoughts and regrets once again.

Then, I found myself in my hotel room since I couldn't be separated from Envy for too long because of the agreement.

"What was I to you when you were everything to me?"

I sniffled, smiling painfully.

"You were and are everything to me, you idiot..."

┗━━━━━━༻♔༺━━━━━━┛

Don't forget to punch the star button, sweeties🥰

I really hope you're enjoying this story (since it's so quiet with many silent readers 🙏)

Thank you for reading 🥀