⚜️Chapitre vingt-huit⚜️

Même sans espoir, la lutte est encore un espoir - Romain Rolland

Even without hope, the fight itself is still hope

┏━━━━━━༻♔༺━━━━━━┓

"Who is this supposed to be?"

I took a deep breath, walking up to him. "Isn't it rude to enter a lady's room unannounced?"

Envy didn't seem to listen. His eyes were glued to the painting as if he was searching for something he needed to find. Jitters prickled my chest from the way he was beholding my vulnerability, the past that I couldn't let go. I cursed myself for not hiding the painting.

"Isn't it obvious who that is?"

A lazy smirk tugged his lips and he turned to me with contempt dancing in his narrowed eyes. "Let me rephrase that. What does that person mean to you for you to paint him? Unless you have some sick fixation with painting the person you killed?"

Hissing internally in pain, I frowned and crossed my arms over my chest to shield myself. "I assure you there's no such thing. He meant a lot to me even if it seems unbelievable. I can paint whatever I want, for your information."

"You're right... It's unbelievable," he whispered, lips flattening. "If that person was to hear you now, he would cry. You considering him as important? That's so new, you have no idea."

"Taehyung-"

"He would hold onto the hope, even the tiniest, faintest hope that he meant something to you until he drew his last breath. He would still hope... Maybe he did."

Telling museum to keep my ground, I bit my lips to stop them from trembling.

"But you know what I heard?" Envy breathed out a weak laugh as if he was in disbelief. "I heard you clearly stated with full conviction that he didn't mean anything to you. Ever. Nothing at all. Doesn't that mean you're lying right now?"

Seeing his past self must had resurfaced repressed feelings and memories, giving the impression that what I was telling him, what I was doing for him could be an illusion of sorts. The past had left such a deep, gripping impact on him after all.

"Tell me, is this agreement, is making me reborn as a human your guilt acting up? Are you- As a Virtue, you think you should come clean and atone for your crimes?"

I furiously shook my head. It was no use hiding what happened anymore. I was dead. He was dead. But there was still a misunderstanding that kept hurting us.

"No!" My breathing stuttered but I forced myself to speak through broken voice. "That's not what I- Taehyung, I promise you it's not that! I made a mistake. A huge one that I probably can never fix."

His face contorted in agony for the first time since his hair turned green. The sharpness in his eyes faded and mists formed, covering them and weakening his glare.

My eyes followed his hand when he lifted it up in front of me and opened his palm. A gasp left me seeing my emerald ring resting on it.

"Why do you still have this?" He asked in a low voice and I quickly snatched it, hiding it behind my back before gulping.

"You went through my stuff?" I scowled.

"Why do you have that?" He raised his voice, stepping closer to me.

"Because it's mine," I stated, trying to evade the question but to no avail when he frowned deeply. "It's... I... This ring is precious to me, okay? I can't lose it."

He scoffed, smiling derisively and tilting his head. "How is our engagement ring precious to you? You called it off yourself and left me. Look where that brought us."

I bit my lips, facing down. "I'm sorry, but I never wanted everything to turn out like this. I... To me, you're-"

"It's useless," he sighed, suddenly walking past me. There was the slightest hint of trembling in his voice. "What's happened has happened. I teleported here without me intending, but I'm allowed some time to be away from you now... I... I need to go back to hell for a moment."

With that, Envy disappeared.

I fell to my knees, clutching the ring in my hand. It was the only thing left of us. The only remembrance of our dreamlike days. The only memento of what we had. The proof of our love that turned out to be his terrible fate.

"It's useless."

No, I couldn't accept that.

"What's happened has happened."

There was still time.

"You left me."

I would never leave you again.

I had to find a way to fix the past.

"Future, present, past, pick your time, babydoll. It doesn't really matter."

I sucked in a breath, remembering his words from before.

The past...?

•───────────⋅⚜️⋅───────────•

"Seoyun, dear!"

God gave me an incredulous look before dismissing the angels who were accompanying him around the garden. I took that time to regulate my breathing and stop my pants.

He pondered in silence for a while. The chirping sounds of birds and the gentle breeze caressing my skin along with the sweet fragrance of the flowers failed to calm me for the first time as I waited impatiently for his answer.

When he finally turned to me, he gave me a worried look. "Are you sure you want to relive your memories?"

I nodded vigorously, learning that I actually had the chance to go back to the past. "There's no point in searching from the present. There's a chance that I can find a human in the past. It's the only way left..."

With a deep sigh, he nodded. "Then, the remaining time will disappear. The past will be played from your memories so time will pass irregularly. You will only be watching from the side."

Time will disappear? Well, there wasn't much left anyway.

I nodded firmly.

"Remember. Since it's from your memories, the past will be limited. Do you still want to?"

Determined, I nodded once again. "Yes, please."

The present or the future was no use.

There's only past.

The past we're chained to.

┗━━━━━━༻♔༺━━━━━━┛

It's been a long time since I updated, sorry. There's soo much going on in my life, you have no idea...

Anyway, hope you enjoyed this and merry belated Christmas 🎄🎉

Don't forget to vote to support the story, sweets 🥰

Thank you for reading 🥀