⚜️Chapitre seize⚜️

C'est la vie

That's life

┏━━━━━━༻♔༺━━━━━━┓

There was something heavenly in the air.

The wide expanse of sapphire sea under the vibrant hues of the sky had a distinct otherworldly feel to it. As if severed from the tension of life, I was on an escape to a blissful haven.

A paradise on earth. The land of the Gods.

The people there always had a warm, welcoming smile when talking to me or tending to my needs, and I felt like I could relax for a moment even if I didn't need a rest. The breathtaking beauty of the scenery from the resort on the island had me sighing in contentment every now and then.

If only I had a paintbrush and canvas...

"Aren't we supposed to look for people?"

The question began to sound more like a vain satire and less of a warning as months passed. Envy himself would often forget what we were there for and his question arose less and less frequently.

"No, I'm on a vacation," I joked and grabbed the menu of foods and services from the table as we sat down in the terrace restaurant. "This is way better than the loud city life of Singapore... All of the things have reasonable prices compared to those in Singapore, too."

"You didn't seem like you hated Singapore though," Envy chuckled as he scanned a menu on his own. "Especially casinos."

I bit my lips, feeling exposed. "I wasn't actually hating on the country, what are you even saying? I'm just saying things were very expensive there," I defended. "And I headed to casinos to see Saejin there."

We ran into Greed and Saejin when we visited Singapore. Where there were lots of money, they were certainly present like how Envy and I were with celebrities.

"Sure you were," the green haired man piped smugly, his smile widening, and I slapped his arm, making him laugh louder.

"Oh my gosh, look. Melati uploaded a picture of her and her husband going on a yacht vacation," one of the resort employees said to another and showed her phone to her with a scoff, catching my attention. "Gosh, she's such a show-off."

"You know, I bet she married him because of his money," the other snickered.

"Maybe, but she's so obsessed with money that she could be workaholic. She's so conceited though, posting a picture like this."

I ignored their conversation and tried focusing on others, but everyone either talked about how great and undeserving other people's lives were or how lacking and hard their own lives were. They were all on a relaxing, pleasant vacation but were focusing on what they didn't have and complained about their wants.

Was it too hard to appreciate the present?

My hand was trembling when I grabbed a glass of water to chug it down and Envy seemed to have noticed it.

"What's wrong?"

I shook my head and took out my phone to distract myself from the vile conversations of the people around me to which I should have grown accustomed by now.

"Aren't you going to order something?"

"Not in the mood," I mumbled and scrolled through my photo gallery, looking back at all the places we visited.