⚜️Chapitre vingt-six⚜️

Tant qu'il y a de la vie, il y a de l'espoir

While I breathe, I hope

┏━━━━━━༻♔༺━━━━━━┓

"You should be resting."

I snapped my fingers, grinning at Envy. "And be bored out of my mind? I don't think so, boy."

Ignoring his nagging, I focused back on watching the elephants stretching far from us. "Aww, aren't they cute, Tae? Look at that baby elephant!"

"Sure. But I wanted to see lions, where are they?"

"We'll get there," the tour guide explained. "Lions are found in groups. A lion's roar can be heard up to eight kilometres away."

"My spirit animal is lion," Envy whispered after leaning closer to me and imitated its roar like a child, earning chuckles from me.

"But when I see you, I see a mouse."

Narrow almond eyes popped out in shock and a hand flew up to his chest in humiliation. "M-Mouse?"

The expression I beheld when I looked up at him was truly comical that I involuntarily burst out laughing. "Okay, okay, chinchilla then!"

"Wha-" Mouth agape and eyes blown wide, he scoffed in disbelief and rubbed his face with his hand. "I can not believe! I'm a rodent now?!"

I paused when I saw blood on his hand and grabbed it to see the wound closer. "What's this? When did you get hurt?"

"Uh... I don't know, it doesn't hurt anyway." He slipped his hand out of my hold but I wasn't convinced.

"We're heading back to the hotel early."

•───────────⋅⚜️⋅───────────•

Pouring out the ointments and bandages I bought from a drugstore onto the bed, I took a deep breath and ushered Envy to sit. With a frown, he dragged his feet and plopped down on the bed before me.

"You're taking this too seriously. It's just a scratch."

I lifted his hand to see a long diagonal cut on his palm with dried blood along it. "Pain is pain. And it's not just a scratch, idiot. I can see your flesh."

He pursed his lips and looked away with a lack of interest, giving up on arguing with me. I started treating him, cleaning the dried blood and applying ointment around the cut while placating him when he would unintentionally jerk or yelp.

A short laugh escaped my lips when I became aware of my situation. I was still treating his wounds after everything and he was still letting me, wearing his usual meek expression.

"Why are you laughing?"

Bandaging him up, I shook my head. "Nothing. Just... I'll miss this."

I felt his eyes on me and I bit my tongue. The words just slipped out. Days and months were flying by but I wasn't making any progress. Everywhere we went, people still had the same envious gaze directed at Envy and sometimes, me. No matter who it was, they still had something to be jealous of when Envy was in the picture.

It was too early to give up but I was afraid that the end result was already decided. I was playing a game I could never win.

Still, it was the only way for me.