⚜️Chapitre huit⚜️

Coût de votre vie

Cost of your life

┏━━━━━━༻♔༺━━━━━━┓

"Kindness, dear, just let me help."

I stopped struggling against God and looked at him with pleading eyes. "Will it hurt?"

"Not at all. Quite the contrary. I'll palliate your emotional capabilities so the emotional pain will subside as a result," he explained and the other Virtues gave me sympathetic looks.

To think that my emotions would come to harm me even after my death...

Drawing a deep breath, I nodded. "Please anesthetize me, then. I don't want to feel this pain anymore."

God rubbed circles on my forehead and I instantly felt my mind numbing. The squeezing sensation in my heart was dulled but the gratitude I felt towards him was mild, too. Still, it felt liberating.

"Is that permanent?" Temperance asked worriedly.

"If no outside influence interferes with it, maybe," God answered, patting my shoulder and turning to the five other Virtues. "It's for her own good. Now, I would like some word with Kindness. Go ahead and resume your jobs, my children."

Bowing, the others disappeared immediately, leaving me and God in the meeting hall room.

"I'm sure you have countless questions for me," he started speaking and took a seat at the table. "About the former Kindness and Envy, they were handfuls. Kindness was blindly in love with Envy and he let her do anything she wanted which resulted in imbalances."

Gulping, I took a seat beside him and listened intently, seeking answers.

"As you know, Sins and Virtues are opposites, enemies... They should be balancing each other. But Envy interfered with people's lives when she wasn't supposed to. And Kindness never corrected her actions. They made mistakes." He sighed, rubbing his forehead. "Thus, they were erased altogether... I tried fixing their mistakes but couldn't save many... I was able to save you and when you came here, I hoped that you would do a better job than him since you've experienced these firsthand."

All his words were difficult to digest but I stayed silent, letting him continue.

"It seems history is repeating itself... When you first asked me to save Envy, I thought that I made a mistake of choosing you as Kindness," he admitted and I averted my gaze in shame. "But time and again, you proved me wrong and I'm grateful for that... Tell me, dear, would you save him at the cost of your own life?"

Sins and Virtues were forbidden from being romantically involved with each other. I knew that... I knew that and yet, I would still love him after he killed millions or billions out of his own misery. I would still justify his cruel actions and let him know it was okay to lose his mind.

I would save him even if it meant that I would give my own life for it...

Because I was the reason why he was suffering...

Because I loved him.

"Yes," I shakily whispered, closing my eyes in defeat for failing him.

No sound except the frantic beating of my heart filled my ears.

"I see. I just hope a time like that never arrives."

Opening my eyes to see his sorrowful expression, the wrinkles around his eyes deepening in dismay, I apologized. "I sometimes miss Chastity... She would tell me just what to do at times like this... and comfort me..."

He suddenly held my hand and pulled me up as he stood up. "Instead of shriveling like this, let's take a walk. Might clear your mind."

Nodding, I followed his lead and walked through the hallways while having small talks with him. A few other angels and devils were walking to and fro, nothing out of the ordinary, simply carrying out their duties.

Far away, I saw one of the Sins, Pride having a heated argument with Humility. Those men were always like that, just how it was supposed to be.

"Chastity made a wager," God spoke, bringing my attention back to him. "An agreement is an agreement. It's binding and cannot be undone... I'm sure everyone misses her but it's irreversible, my child."

"I know..." I bit my lips. "It's the reality. An agreement is an agreement."

When I looked up at the front, my eyes widened at Lucy and Envy ambling towards us, the former with a worried expression and the other with a disdainful look.

We met in the middle and Envy flashed God a deceptively charming smile. "Chastity's wagering has led me to do the same so I came here with an offer."

God gave him the stink eye as if to reproach him before sighing and patting my back. "If the Virtue takes up on your offer, the agreement shall be in force."

I nodded, putting up a facade that I was unaffected by his presence but I was fearing what Envy was about to say.

"Kindness." Envy turned to me, making me gulp. "If you can't find anyone who's not envious of me, you shall be relieved from duty."

Shiver ran down my spine and my whole body hardened. He really went there...

"What if I can?"

"Then I'll be relieved from duty, of course," he stated, shrugging.

"Even if there isn't one person now, there will be in the future! You're too confident that everyone would be envious of you."

His lips tugged downwards and eyebrows raised before he smiled lazily. "Future, present, past, pick your time, babydoll. It doesn't really matter."

Straightening my posture, I declared, "I would like to change my wager."

Envy's eyebrow twitched. "You're really considering this?" Clearing his throat, he threw me an annoyed glare. "What do you want?"

"If I can find anyone who's not envious of you, you shall be reborn as a human. Not as an object of envy and hate," I said, earning surprised looks from both Envy and Lucy. "Because it's not in my nature to wish harm upon others... I'm being kind to you, Tae."

Shock suddenly crossed Envy's features and he was rendered speechless for a moment, plump lips parting in awe.

I smiled softly at him. "I accept."

He blinked repeatedly as if he wasn't expecting that. "Wait-"

"The agreement has been reached."

┗━━━━━━༻♔༺━━━━━━┛