⚜️Chapitre dix-sept⚜️

Désir de quelque chose que nous n'avons pas

Desire of something we don't have

┏━━━━━━༻♔༺━━━━━━┓

"Marry me."

My mouth hung open and a deep frown marred my face. "I- What...?!"

"Oh, dear sweet jasmine, the stars pale in comparison to your beauty and grace," the burly man who was blessed with such bushy eyebrows and thick long lashes cried out and drew nearer with his dark orbs tracing my features. "I will offer more oil, more gold, more fortune than anyone else can ever hope to offer for your hand in marriage, my lady."

Was that supposed to flatter me? I couldn't say because he looked so proud of his declaration while I felt nothing but offense and was high-key creeped out. Centuries had long passed but a forceful proposal like this didn't fail to rattle my mind and kindle calamity within me.

I couldn't believe I was being proposed to after not even an hour of being seen by this man when all I was trying to do was ask a simple question and see if he would envy the man I came there with. More than that, I couldn't believe he was thinking I could be claimed with money.

"Excuse you, pompous prick," I seethed, throwing my arms over my chest as I backed away a few steps, "if you're looking for an eye pleaser, why don't you just go to galleries? Do I look like a product you can purchase?"

"Goodness, no!" The man gawked at me in horror. "I'm sure you will run to me yourself when you realize how much luxury you can live in with me. But of course, the most valuable possession of mine will be you, my dear jasmine."

That was the last straw.

"Possession?" I breathed out an incredulous laugh. "Hey, asshole, you must had gotten kicked in the head or been dropped when you were a baby. I have my own identity and rights, for your information. And I honestly give zero fucks about your filthy oil. You better do something about that disgusting mindset of yours or you'll burn in hell."

The color red seeped into his tanned face as wrath overtook his senses. "Quite the spunk you have there, little sparrow. Do you think I'll tolerate a lowlife spouting such words at me? Is your relationship with that moss haired bastard blocking you from seeing how much riches and power I have?"

It wasn't like that but I was too tired to argue with such a narrow minded person. As he said, words from a person of lower status would never reach his clogged ears. Where was Humility anyway?

"I'd rather not waste my time here, someone else will deal with you," I stated with a hint of spite in my voice, snarling at the man, and whirled around to grab Envy's wrist to leave the premises.

But before I could take any more than five steps, I was seized by the man's bodyguards' firm grips that would no doubt leave bruises on my arms.

"Oh no no, sparrow," a baleful chuckle sounded behind me. "If I can't have you, no one can."

He was definitely envy ridden.

The bulky men dressed in black suits carried me out of the golden hall room with green and red gemstones engraved on the floor and the walls, girded by tall pillars and graced with gilded floral chandelier. Such a pity that I wasn't able to take a picture of the place. To escape, I could use my powers but then I would be labeled as witch and would have a hard time traveling from place to place with people hunting me.