⚜️Chapitre dix-huit⚜️

L'enfant en toi

The child in you

┏━━━━━━༻♔༺━━━━━━┓

"Summer vacation, bitches!"

The beach stretching out along the shimmering water was enlivened with groups of carefree and frisky young people. Dancing to the club music blasted by the speakers, breaking into laughter with their friends, going into the water, and drinking bottles and bottles of liquor, they seemed to be having the time of their life, whooping every now and then.

"I'm surprised we came to America," Envy tittered while gathering and piling sand in an odd square shape. "The world's envy. Free country, home to true capitalism, where everyone fights to the top... Honestly, I'm just shook that US is in your map. If the agreement was about finding a sinner instead, you would win in a millisecond."

"As I keep telling you, don't be biased! There are good and bad people everywhere. Neutral ones, too. A lot of them," I groaned, reaching out a hand to destroy his weird sandcastle out of spite but he slapped it immediately before covering his creation with a defensive stance.

Giving me an unamused frown, he returned to focusing on building his tiny castle. He even had five red flags prepared next to himself, just waiting to pin them on top of the castle with a victorious grin. The way his lips formed a pout as he earnestly formed the surfaces and edges of it with such careful movements was undeniably endearing to see. No one would believe he was a creature from hell after watching him play with sands like a child like this.

"Your sandcastle sucks," I muttered, biting back my smile, after a minute or so of watching the kindergartener.

"That's not nice," he complained, pouting more but not giving up. "I'm trying my best, okay?! Live up to your name and be nice to me instead criticizing my hard work, Seoyun. Or are you jealous of these sculpting skills?"

Rolling my eyes, I settled my gaze at the horizon, ignoring him and his ugly castle. The sand around us was the softest hue of gold while the sea that came crashing into the shore to tickle my bare feet was the most brilliant of blue. The warmth of the blazing sun was seeping into my skin and the wind that accompanied the buoyant waves caressed my face in gentle strokes.

A disgruntled cry startled me, prompting me to look to my left and see Envy jump to his feet all of a sudden and run away to where our bags and extra clothes were. Looking back to where he sat, I gasped a little seeing his castle broken in half.

It wasn't completely ruined and I let out a soft sigh. Knowing how he was trying so hard to build it, I scooted over and tried to put it back together again, adding drops of water and gently pushing the broken parts together with wet hands.

After minutes of struggles, I was able to save the plain castle and not only that, with a touch of my artistry, it transformed into a more majestic version of itself. Grinning proudly at my work, I waited for Envy to return so I could boast about it.

Searching around the beach, my eyes stilled on the green hair that was way too noticeable among the crowds. Pique and displeasure flooded my mind in waves, and I marched towards the girl who was feeling up Envy's arm.

"What do you think you are doing?" I snarled at her, startling the blonde girl.

"Uh... Who are you?" She scanned me up and down.

"I'm his girlfriend," I exclaimed, forcefully locking my arm with Envy's, making the man's eyes widen. "He's taken, okay? So go beat some other meat. You look like you deserve someone better than him anyway."

His eyes instantly narrowed at my last words. "Excuse?"

"Like who?" The girl eyed me up and down but with a whole new expression this time. "You?"

Her sudden words shattered my pretense and had my breathing stuttering. I blinked a few times, waiting for the punchline that never came.

"W-What do you mean? Are you bisexual?"

She grinned from ear to ear and took a step forward, making me jump back. "If I say yes, will you go on a date with me?"

Heat rushed to my face and swirled around my cheeks. "Oh- well, I don't-"

Envy covered my body with his arms, as if hugging me, and barked, "She's taken, didn't you hear?! Go away!"

The animosity dripping from his gruff voice gave me a fright and I turned to see him glowering at the girl, his lips flattened and thick, dark eyebrows knotted. Seeing him about to pounce at her, she raised her hands in defense and backed away, heading to a group of youngsters.

"Chill, I wasn't going to agree to that anyway." I pushed Envy's arms off me.

"You seemed to be enjoying it though, unlike how you acted with the other guy who tried marrying you," he mumbled while scratching the tiny red bucket in his hands with an adorable huff, expression changing drastically.

Shooting a glare, I grabbed his wrist and pulled him back to where we were sitting. "I certainly wasn't. You, on the other hand... What were you doing?"

"She just approached me first. Girls were swarming around me and I had a hard time rejecting them," he sighed and halted before the small sandcastle, gawking at it. "Is this...?"

"Yep," I chimed, plopping down on the sand next to it with a huge grin. "Ta da! Your pitiful ruins became this beautiful castle thanks to me."

He stared at it for a while with his mouth agape, dumbfounded.

"...Why?"

Confused, I could only shrug. "No reason...? I'm the Virtue of Kindness after all."

Somewhat skeptical, he raised his eyebrows and sat down beside me. "Okay then... I'll thank you this time."

His gratitude seemed forced but I appreciated it since I didn't do it for nothing in return.

The suppressed smile he wore while marveling at the sandcastle and sticking the tiny red flags on top of it was all I wanted.

After he was done, he suddenly turned to me with wide, sparkling eyes. "Then, if you'll be so kind to bury me in sand."

The child in him was still there...

┗━━━━━━༻♔༺━━━━━━┛

I've been updating this book tirelessly to enter it into an awards competition

I've been updating this book tirelessly to enter it into an awards competition. 'Tis been grueling... oop-

This chapter was a little... eh 😔 I think I'm having author's block...

We're going ✈️ Europe next

And there'll be more tension 👀