⚜️Chapitre trente⚜️

J'aime ton sourire

I love your smile

┏━━━━━━༻♔༺━━━━━━┓

"Why are you here?"

My younger self beamed at Taehyung, ignoring his scowl. She pushed the brighter one of her lunch boxes towards him. "I made you lunch. It's better than fast food- whatever you're eating during break."

He looked around the classroom to find her friends to make her leave with them but they were already gone to the cafeteria. With a long sigh, he pushed the box back to her. It was the seventh time my kindness was rejected by him.

"I never asked you to make me lunch. Why are you doing this? Are you pitying me? Do you feel smug acting nice? If this is some dare or a plan to stab me after getting on my good side, I'd like it if you stopped," Taehyung said lowly, a hint of animosity in his voice that made her gulp. "What do you want from me, Seoyun?"

"Nothing," she stammered, sulking. I could feel the disappointment myself. "But if I were to be completely honest with you-"

Taehyung rolled his eyes, making me frown. "There it is."

"I want friendship," she finished despite his interruption and bit her lips.

Taehyung sat frozen for a moment before finally finding his voice and whispering, "Excuse me?"

"I thought maybe since we had gone through the same mistreatment- if you could call it that... Um..." She fumbled with her lunchbox, trying to find her words. "I will never hurt you if that's what you're concerned about. We both know how the others treat people like you, and we share similar interests and opinions even. Sometimes we clash but it's not unpleasant, rather stimulating... We can understand each other and help each other, too. Wouldn't you agree that we can make great friends? I think you're genuinely a nice guy whom I can put my trust in... Give me a chance?"

The young man stared at her without uttering any word. He was processing her words and contemplating if he could believe all that. His expression was almost as cold and callous as Envy's, but nothing could overcome Envy's ruthless mien.

"Please...?"

I heaved a sigh. Why was I so relentless? It was almost embarrassing.

Tilting his head, Taehyung looked down at the lunchbox in front of him and took off the lid as my younger self watched him in surprise.

"What food did you make?"

A smile grew on her face and her eyes sparkled in the sunlight as they widened in glee. "Oh! It's- It's Bulgogi with a few gyozas in case you eat a lot. Mine's the same dish."

My lips curled up unknowingly watching her being nervous about Taehyung eating the food and hearing him say it's delicious. He may had thought there was no harm giving me a chance.

'Friends'... That's what I went for, but I undeniably had feelings for him. Maybe they were the reason I could relentlessly chase after him without giving up, and I knew.

I knew he wanted someone like me beside himself even if he kept pushing me away.

I could always feel his sadness whenever I saw him. It was the same thing I had often felt.

Snapping out of my daze, I realized that I was doing it again. I wasn't here to reminisce. I was here with a mission.

Scanning the room, I hummed in thought. "Damn, there's no one here who wouldn't envy you. The whole school might not, either... Still, wanna go check out the hallway?"

Envy was strangely silent, making me turn to see him standing there with his eyes fixed on the two, but lost deep in thought. Maybe he was being nostalgic or maybe he was wondering if this was where his life went wrong. Maybe he was regretting his actions, I didn't know.

I didn't want to know.

"Then why aren't we skipping this memory," Envy suddenly asked, startling me, and turned his head to me.

My breathing stuttered when our eyes locked. I couldn't recognize the look in his. A glint of something between sorrow and apprehension was there in his softer dark eyes.

"We can't. They said we can't do anything with these memories, remember? We can only move through them."

As soon as I said that, our surroundings changed and we found ourselves in the infirmary. I spun around until my eyes landed on the two sitting on the bed beside each other. Envy followed my gaze and found them as well. It looked like I sprained my ankle in gym class judging by the tracksuits they were wearing.

I smiled when I remembered that time.

"I shouldn't be here," Taehyung sighed, frowning at her who pouted back at him.

"But I'll be bored! At least stay with me until this period ends, it's just a few minutes. I'm stuck her for the rest of the day anyways..."

He sighed again before falling back on the bed in defeat. "What do you want me to do anyway?"

She smiled at him. "Just talking would be nice. Any topic. You pick."

Taehyung closed his eyes, turning away.

"Hey, you little shit! One of the prettiest girls in your class is trying to spend time with you talking about anything you like, and you're ignoring me?" She huffed in annoyance.

A chuckle escaped him and he opened his eyes, smiling at her. "You? Prettiest? Did they tell you that, Seoyun?"

"In fact they did. Don't try to argue." In awe, she tilted her head, taking in his appearance very carefully. "Why don't you ever smile, Taehyung? I think you look more handsome smiling like that."

It was the first time I saw him smile, and it was over my face.

Taehyung's smile instantly fell and he looked up at the ceiling.

"Sure..."

"I look more handsome when I'm smiling?"

I jumped slightly when Envy asked me such a strange question. He didn't look like he was joking or mocking me. His expression was rather serious and... curious. Why was he asking me that?

"Uh... Well..." I scratched my shoulder, looking away in embarrassment. "You do... I can't explain it well, but you do... At least, to me."

The two before us were engaged in a conversation about their classmates while I wondered why I liked it more when he smiled. He was handsome with or without a smile, but I wanted to see him smiling more.

It used to be so rare back then...

Just like now.

Could I change him like I did back then...?

┗━━━━━━༻♔༺━━━━━━┛

Another update so soon! Yayy ✨

These memories are playing like they're really there but they can't do anything but watch or walk around as far as they remember. There's no distortion or haziness.

Don't forget to vote to support the story, dears
Thank you for reading 🥀