A Start

~~~~Katelyn~~~~

It has been three days since we picked up the little girl, Airis. And during those three days, she was either sitting in a corner, or stuck to Aphmau.

I swear that little girl is a little creepy. She never spoke, she's always with Aphmau or in a corner, and we don't know a single thing about her.

"Katelyn-chan!" I heard Kawaii-chan shout from the kitchen. I sat up in bed and looked at the time, seeing from my wall clock that it was noon.

Getting off my bed, I went to the door, left my room and went downstairs to the kitchen. When I got there, Kawaii-chan was looking around the kitchen.

"Uh.. Kawaii-chan, what are you doing?" I asked.

"I'm looking for Airis-chan." She answered, "Have you seen her?"

I looked at her confused, "What do you mean looking for Airis? Isn't she with Aphmau or in her corner?" I asked.

"No, Airis-chan disappeared when Aphmau-sempai went to the bathroom for a moment." Kawaii-chan said.

"Kawaii-chan!" Aphmau shouted from another room in the house, "Have you found her yet?"

"No, not yet. Katelyn-chan, can you help us look?"

I sighed and grumbled, not really excited to find the little kid. I started in the living room, checking all of the corners and under the furniture. No sign of her.

All of a sudden, after a couple more minutes of searching for Airis, we heard Aphmau screaming from outside.

Kawaii-chan and I ran outside to the front yard. We saw her with eyes wide open staring at the roof of the house.

"Aphmau, what happened? Why'd you scream?" I asked.

"Airis is on the roof!" She shouted and pointed to the roof. Kawaii-chan and I looked up at the roof and saw a little black dot on top of the house.

I squinted so I could clearer and noticed a little bit of blue from the black dot. Sighing, I went to the back to find the ladder.

"Where are you going, Katelyn?" Aphmau asked.

"I'm gonna get the squirt down. Be back in a little bit." I answered without turning around.

Grabbing the ladder from the back shed, I leaned it against the back of the house near the part of the roof where Airis was. I climbed up to the top and saw Airis wearing her tattered black cloak.

I don't know why she was always wearing that dirty thing. I mean, Aphmau cleaned it and all since Airis almost cried the last time she tried to throw it away, but still... why wear that ragged thing?

"Hey!" I shouted. Airis jumped and turned around to look at me, her visible eye filling with fear.

"Okay, kid, look, you're gonna have to get off the roof. You're freaking everyone out down there." I said, but she didn't move, only staring at me with fear.

She began to move a little closer to the edge of the roof, and instinct brought me to climb further onto the roof and cautiously approach her.

"Okay, okay." I said in a softer tone than normal, "I'm sorry I yelled at you, but you really need to get down. Aphmau and Kawaii-chan are worried that you might get hurt."

Slowly, her fear filled eyes softened to where there was still fear but I could see more relief.

Airis shuffled a little on the roof and sat facing me. She stared at me with her lone eye, before reaching into her cloak and pulling out the notebook Aphmau gave her days ago.