Running....

I was running....

That's all I could do. All I could do was run.

If I ever stopped running, they would catch me.

My heavy breaths escaped from me as the soft crunch of the grass echoed from under my aching and burning barefeet.

I have lost track of how long I've been running. The sun had risen and set many times since I escaped.

"You must take a rest, child."

This voice.... For now, it was the only thing that I could trust. This voice has guided me through so much and has never steered me wrong before. I trust it with my life.

I stopped, just for a moment to catch my breath. I leaned against a nearby tree and slid down to the soft, damp grass. I could the night dew seep through my tattered gown.

As I caught my breath, I stared up at the star filled sky. It was the first time I had ever seen such a beautiful sky. The colors of the milky way blended together so amazingly, and the stars sparkled like jewels.

For the first time since that horrible day, I had smiled with not a single care.

I took my eyes away from the starry sky and looked down at my chest. Three of my own jewels hung around my neck, dangling from a thin silver chain.

I gently took them in my hands and stared at them. Their beauty always reminded me of them. As if their smiles were forever engraved into two of the three stones I held dear.

They were my most precious treasures. The last thing they had ever given me.

I closed my eyes, holding the stones closer to my heart and saying a soft prayer.

"Dear Irene," I whispered, "I pray that one day, everything will be as it was. I hope from the bottom of my heart, that one day, I will no longer have to fear the dark. I ask that you watch over me, allow me to use this curse and blessing for the greater good of the world. I ask this in your name."

After finishing my prayer, I stood up and continued on my way. I had to go.

"You are nearly there. Only another few hours. Then, you will be in a safe place."

"How do you know I'll be safe? What makes you think anyone will be safe?" I asked the voice.

"You must remember what I have seen. My vision are never wrong. Where I am leading you, will be the place where your destiny begins. There, you will find your place, and a few souls who will not only become friends, but family."

I slowed down my running, clutching my stones again.

I had never imagined myself with another family. Would I truly be safe with a family? With who and what I am, I would most likely be putting them in danger.

"I don't believe I should be a part of any family. You saw what happened before." I said, not believing that anyone was safe if I were to be around them. They'd leave me as well. I was sure of it.

"Nonsense, child. I have known that this day would come. The ones you will soon call your family are kind and loving. A few of them are strange at first, but you will soon come to call them your family. One of them is a lot like you."

My eyes widened.

"Is there truly someone like me there?" I asked.

Suddenly, I felt something gently take my hand. I looked down and saw a ghostly hand take my own.

I looked up and saw the owner of the voice. I could only see their silhouette, but they were kind from the way they held my hand.

"Where I am leading you, is a place filled with people who are kind. They are the ones who will be there for you. The one like you, has suffered just as well as you have, and they, too, have found happiness and friends. Place your trust in me, child. Allow me to lead you home."

The silhouette faded away, leaving me alone once again. But their voice guided me out of the forest.

For many more hours, I traveled along lights that flickered above me.

I kept to the shadows, not allowing a soul to see me. For if any eyes caught me, they would most certainly take me back. No, I had to wait until I made it there.

The moon had almost set by the time the voice told me that I had almost made it. I smiled in relief as they said that.

The voice directed me to a long black road, telling me to follow it, for it would lead me to the place I would soon, and hopefully, call my home.

I walked along the road, until I reached a strip along the road. It was colored a soft cream color, though was not as rough as the black road and sectioned off by cracks in an equal size each.

"Take this path. You are very close now, child."

I took to their words and followed this strange cream path. I kept walking and walking and walking.

Soon, I could no longer feel my feet. They had grown numb and finally, I collapsed onto a nearby patch of soft green grass.

My vision had grown blurry, but I could see where I had fallen. It was a place, a house. A large one.

It had steps near the entrance, and as I turned my head, I could see beautiful blooming flowers lined in a neat row.

There was a number next to the entrance as well. The number 67.

"You have done well, child. Rest, for when you awake, your true peace shall begin."

I felt their warm touch caress my face as my eyes finally closed to rest.

Would this really be the home I so needed?

Would the people here truly accept me?

I wonder......

Will I find peace and light here?