The First Christmas

~~~~Airis~~~~

I sat on the couch watching more Christmas specials on TV, waiting for the time we had to go bed. But I was so restless.

Why was I so restless?

Tonight was Christmas Eve, my first Christmas Eve away from them. And I was so excited to celebrate a real Christmas. And then after that, I would be turning five as soon as the midnight bell tolled on January 1st.

Ms. Aphmau had went Christmas shopping a week ago and all the presents were gathered underneath the tree. The stocking were hung on the TV dresser. The lights were twinkling outside, to be shining until the first Christmas morning light came rose in the sky.

I was dressed in my night clothes, a simple white nightgown, ready to sleep at any time Ms. Aphmau told me to. And tomorrow, we would be having a big Christmas party. We invited everyone in the neighborhood, and all of Ms. Aphmau's friends.

It was still kind of strange and awkward for me to be in social situations, but by my birthday, I wanted to be able to trust everyone. I wanted to be able to let go of my fear. I wanted to be free.

Just then, I smelled cookies in the kitchen. I got off the couch and went over to the kitchen. Ms. Katelyn was already there, hearing commotion from the kitchen.

"Hey Aphmau, what are you up to?" She asked.

I looked around Ms. Katelyn and saw Ms. Aphmau near the oven.

"Huh? Oh, Katelyn, Airis. I'm just baking cookies for Santa here. It's taking forever, though." Ms. Aphmau replied.

I got confused, since I knew there was no such thing as Santa. Was there...? I mean, Mama and Papa never told me about Santa, so he must not be real. Then again, we didn't celebrate Christmas much.

"...What?" Ms. Katelyn asked as we walked closer to Ms. Aphmau.

"I'm making cookies for Santa. Not those cookies. Those cookies are bad and store bought." Ms. Aphamu repeated while pointing to the jar of cookies on the opposite counter.

Ms. Katelyn laughed loudly, but when she saw Ms. Aphmau's serious expression, she immediately stopped.

"Wait... you're serious?" She asked.

"Uh... yes... why?"

"...Uh, nothing. Is Kawaii~chan in on this?" Ms. Katelyn asked.

"Oh! Kawaii~chan! She actually isn't here right now. Michi got sick so Kawaii~chan went to take some soup to her."

I remembered Michi. She was that purple haired Meif'wa that attended the last Christmas party we hosted. She seemed kind of clingy on that Reese man, but I guess she seemed kind enough for a party.

"Are you serious? Why does Kawaii~chan help that woman anyway? She LITERALLY STOLE her man." Ms. Katelyn said, "In front of her mind you!"

"Well, from what Kawaii~chan, Michi has been really sick since the party. I think she might have caught it from Reese. You haven't noticed that he's been delivering pizzas to our house?"

Seeing as how I wasn't really needed in the conversation, I decided to go upstairs and finish the gifts I was making. I hid in Ms. Aphmau's closest and took one of her old shoe boxes, one that she wasn't using, and opened it to reveal my works in progress.

I was using my magic bit by bit and making small charms for everyone. Each charm was different a shape, while the strings were different colors that matched their personalities.

Mr. Garroth got a helmet charm connected to a white braided string.

Mr. Laurance got a sword charm connected to a green braided string.