The Neighborhood Play Pt. 1

~~~~Katelyn~~~~

I sat in my room with Jeffory, staring at a brochure for a nearby local college. It's been jumping around in my mind for a while, but I wasn't sure about this idea.

"You've been acting weird." Jeffory said, "Is something bothering you?" He stood up and walked over, noticing the brochure in my hand.

"Hey, isn't that from the local college nearby?" He asked.

I jumped from his question, "What? Nope. I have no idea what you're talking about." I said hiding the brochure.

"Come on, Katelyn, let me see."

"Back off. It's none of your business."

"Katelyn, I've been your friend for a long time. You know you're gonna tell me eventually."

I growled and gave in, "Fine. Here." I handed him the brochure.

"It's a brochure for the local college. I was thinking about, I don't know, going there."

Jeffory smiled, "Katelyn, that's wonderful. What would you major in?"

"Theater. And not so much as major in it as much as I just, uh, wanna take a class or something." I said.

"You? Really?" Jeffory asked surprised by my thoughts, "Katelyn, I never knew you were interested in theatre. I mean, I knew you could sing, but performing in front of others? Pardon me for saying this, but, you get angry every time you're shy. And don't you have stage fright?"

"That's why I wanted to go." I admitted, "To get over it, or learn how to. I don't know. I'd most likely want to direct or write a play."

"Well, do it. You have my full support. Heck, I'll even drive you there on my way to work in the morning."

"Thanks Jeffory, that's  sweet of you. But, I'm not going." I said.

"What?! Why not?"

"For the reasons you pointed out. I've been thinking about it, but I just can't."

"Katelyn, you have to."

"Drop it, Jeffory! I said I'm not going!"

"You need to stop being so stubborn, Katelyn!"

"Uhgh! You're so encouraging, stop it!"

Just then, we heard a knock at the door. Jeffory went to go answer it and on the other side of my bedroom door stood Airis.

She looked at us confused and was about to reach into her pocket to get her notebook, but Jeffory sighed and turned around towards me.

"Look, we shouldn't fight in front of Airis." He said, "I'm going to step out before this gets too crazy. Just know, that I really think you should follow your dreams. Come talk to me when your temper cools off."

Jeffory affectionately patted Airis's head and walked out my room. Airis, looked back at me, concern written all over her face.

I sighed and turned my chair back to my desk. I set my head on the desk and thought everything back over. With my stage fright I would never be able to become an actor, and with my temper I would never be able to stay calm when things went wrong.

I had made up my mind. I wouldn't go and just give up on theatre.

Suddenly, I felt something pat my head. I glanced up and saw my stuffed rabbit patting my head. In my shock, I sat up too fast, causing me to fall backwards in my chair.

"Ow..." I said as my head hit the floor. I felt something land on my head and when I opened my eyes, I saw my rabbit dancing.

I sat up and watched as my stuffed rabbit danced in front of me. It was strange, especially since it was a plush.