The Child....

~~~~Aphmau~~~~

Everything was peaceful as I opened my eyes to the world. I felt the warm soft blanket thay covered me in a comforting hold. I looked towards my window and saw the sun shining through the glass and falling onto the wooden floor.

I smiled, feeling safe and warm, but I knew I had to get up, even though I wanted to sleep in even longer. But, it was my turn to make breakfast.

I escaped the soft warmth of my blankets, put on my slippers and walked out of my room. From the other rooms, I could hear my roommates snoring.

Kawaii-chan and Katelyn, two of my best friends from both high school and college. Through a lot of stuff, they've been there for me by my side. They moved in with me a little bit after we graduated college. It was fun to have them as my roommates, you always had to be on your toes.

I went down the stairs to the front door, so I could wake myself up even more with the fresh morning air. I opened the door, feeling the amazing cool morning breeze.

It was in between the end of summer and the beginning of fall, so the air was slowly turning chilly again.

As I looked around the neighborhood, I couldn't help but smile at the view. My other friends' houses, the fresh green lawn, the black figure collapsed near the flowers. Everything was--

"Wait, what?!" I shouted, taking a second look at the nearby flower bed. I guess curiosity got the best of me, since I walked over to the flowers to see what it was.

At first, due to the black color, I thought it was some kind of animal that would just hear me come closer and run away. But... as I crept closer to the flowers, the black thing didn't move or run away.

Every thought in my mind told me to run and get Katelyn or Kawaii-chan, but something just told me to get closer.

As soon as I got close enough to the weird black thing, I cautiously touched it. It didn't move.

"What is this thing?" I wondered aloud. I brushed my hand across the black thing, and when I got a better feel for it, it felt like worn out cloth.

I pulled on the cloth and gasped loudly when I saw a pair of bare and very cut feet. I quickly went to the opposite end and pulled off the cloth.

What I saw was something that I don't even think Irene would expect.

It was a sleeping face. A person.... Their eyes were closed, and from their breathing I could tell that they were sleeping soundly. Ans from their size, this was a kid.

Their dark skin was covered in dirt and cuts, even their dark blue hair was caked in mud and dirt.

"Oh. My. Irene. Hey, are you okay? Wake up." I said softly to the kid, but they didn't say anything to answer me.

I didn't know what else to do, so I carefully picked the kid up and took them into the house. I lay the kid down on the couch and ran upstairs, banging on Katelyn's door.

"Katelyn! Katelyn, wake up now!" I shouted, loud enough for her to hear me, but quiet enough so that the kid wouldn't wake up.

"Ugh! Aph, what are you doing up so early?" Katelyn asked from the other side of the door. She opened up her bedroom door, her hair a mess with a ticked off expression.

"This better be about breakfast." She grumbled.

"This is more important than breakfast. Go get Kawaii-chan and meet me downstairs in the living room." I said quickly before I ran back to the living room. I went to the couch, relieved to see that the kid was still there.