Aftermath

~~~~Aphmau~~~~

The day was calm and sweet. Birds singing, sun shining, Airis taking her afternoon nap on my bed snuggling with the stuffed wolf Aaron gave her for Christmas.

Everything was peaceful....

"WWWHHHAAAAAAATTTTTTTT!!!"

At least until Zane interrupted the peace.

I saw from the corner of my eye and saw Airis jump awake on the bed, kicking the blankets off and looking around to see what happened.

I quickly shushed Zane.

"Zane, calm down. You just woke up Airis from her nap." I said.

"Okay, first off," he turned to Airis, "Sorry for interrupting your nap, Airis." He turned back to me, "Second, how could I be calm? You and Aaron kissed! How am I supposed to be calm about this? That explains why you two were so awkward and blushing at dinner last night. Now I know I wasn't imagining things. I swore I saw you guys holding hands under the table for a brief moment."

My cheeks blushed bright red, "Wh-What? How did you even have time to see that?"

"When Jeffory purposely bumped into me, I dropped my breadstick. Ten second rule, but I know what I saw!"

I groaned, "I don't understand why you're so riled up about this. It's not like we're... dating. We just... got caught up in the moment."

"That's my problem. You're not dating."

"What?" I asked.

"If he's going to make a move on you, then he's going to have to date you."

Confused, I laughed at his accusation, "Excuse me? Zane, that's... that's not how love works. You can't just force someone into a relationship because it's convenient."

All of a sudden, from out of nowhere, Zane pulled out a black sword and rushed to my bedroom door.

"Wh-Wh-What's with the sword? Where are you going?"

"To force him to date you because it's convenient!" Zane shouted before running out my house.

I called out to him before grabbing Airis, running out the house with her in my arms and then chasing Zane down the street.

"Zane, stop." I said as soon as we got close to him. I stood in front of him to stop him front moving amy farther.

"Since when did you become this overprotective?" I asked, setting Airis down on the snowy ground as she yawned.

"Umm.... well... since I became your friend, I think it's my duty to make sure you're happy." Zane answered stuttering around a few words.

Once again I laughed, "Zane, what you did right now is thoughtful, yes. But, you're trying to force something that can't be forced."

"What do you mean? He kissed you and you kissed him back. That means you love each other and Airis will have a father figure, right?"

"Well, you didn't let me finish before you stormed off." I sighed, "Aaron and I are going to keep things casual and see where it leads. We're not official or anything like that, but honestly we'd like to remain great friends for now. M-Maybe we'll go on a date occasionally... or something like that. And right now is definitely not the time to be saying things like father figure to Airis!"

I blushed hard, thinking about Aaron being Airis's father, if we ever got together that is. To be honest, I wouldn't mind raising Airis with him, but right now, we just had to be patient about our relationship at this point.