Mistletoe Wars

~~~~Aphmau~~~~

I held the salt and pepper shakers in my hands as all of us got ready for the Christmas party this evening. It would be starting soon and none of us were quite ready. Except for Airis. She seemed to be ready about an hour ago.

I groaned and turned around, seeing Katelyn sitting on the sidelines with a gingerbread man in her hand.

"Katelyn, can you at least help is prepare for this party?" I asked.

"This is your party, Aphmau, not mine." She replied.

"Ugh! Katelyn, come on, don't be like that." I gestured to Kawaii-chan, "Look, Kawaii-chan is getting into the holiday spirit. Yeah... and helping make desserts for the party. Okay?"

"That's Kawaii-chan in a regular basis! Thay doesn't count." Katelyn said.

I sighed, "In any case, she's being a lot more helpful than you are right now, Katelyn."

As I turned back to the season the food, I noticed that Airis wasn't around.

"You know what? Do do something helpful today if you're not gonna help us with the party preparations, how about you go look for Airis? She should get down here to greet the guests, too."

Katelyn stopped arguing with me and looked confused ans concerned. For the first time since I've known Katelyn, I had seen that look on her face. Since Airis came around, Katelyn had gotten a little calmer around the kid. Even though I was her foster mother, Katelyn seemed to take on the role of an Aunt or older sister.

"Okay, fine. I'll do that, and then hide up in my room for the night." Katelyn said and before I could tell her not to stay in her room all night, she was already gone.

I sighed again and returned to fixing things for the party. But I smiled, this would be the perfect situation for her to improve her social skills.

I mean... Airis hangs out with me, Katelyn, Kawaii-chan and the guys, but she's always extremely shy when it comes to other people. This party would be a great way for her to open up a little to the neighborhood.

~~~~Katelyn~~~~

I went upstairs to find Airis, checking my room and Kawaii-chan's room, but finding no sign of her.

Then I went to Aphmau's room to find her.

"Airis, where are you?" I asked the empty room, "Come on out, the party's gonna start soon. Aphmau's waiting for you."

I went into the room, looking around for a quick moment before spotting the open bathroom door. I walked over to the bathroom and spotted Airis on the counter. She was wearing a simple white dress with blue accents and a pair of white buckle shoes. She was staring into the mirror and trying to set her white rose hair clip on the left side of her head.

"Do you need any help?" I asked. Airis jumped and landed on the floor, thankfully on her feet, but she looked a little shocked.

I laughed and knelt down in front of Airis, smiling as she slowly calmed down.

"Sorry if I scared you, kid. Didn't think you were concentrating that hard on a hair clip." I said, "If you want, I'll help you clip it on the other side. You look like you have more hair on that side."

I took the clip out of her hair and was about to sweep away the bangs on her right side, but she quickly pulled away from my touch and shook her head frantically.

Confused, I lowered my free hand and stared at her nervous expression. I knew that I had to drop it.

"Okay then, I understand. I'll place the clip on your left side. But one of these days, you'll have to show us the right side of your head. I'm getting too curious for my own good." I said.