Happy Birthday, Airis!

~~~~Katelyn~~~~

The house was quiet for once. Aphmau was out somewhere and Kawaii-chan was at work, leaving me and Airis alone together in the house.

I was reading a book on the couch while she took a nap on my lap. Once in a while in the middle of a chapter, I took a glance at ths girl sleeping on my lap and thinking that she was too precious.

Since the Christmas party, when she revealed her right eye to all of us, bit by bit she became a little more open. She even pinned up the right side of her bangs once in a while to show off that unique eye of hers. Honestly, I was expecting maybe a scar, or maybe a bruise. But sectoral heterochromia... none of us expected that at all.

I mean, maybe I did? I remembered when she saved me from falling off the roof a few days after she began living with us.. It was only for a second, but her bangs blew out of the way if her right eye and I saw green and pink. At first I just thought of it as a trick of the light, but now I knew.

I had actually seen her right eye before she revealed it to everyone.

Airis still didn't speak to us, preferring to write in her notebook, but we started learning new things about her.

For instance, she loves chocolate chip cookies. Whenever Kawaii-chan makes them, she has to be the first one to get a cookie.

And whenever she wakes up at night, she goes down to the kitchen to get a glass of warm milk.

Almost every day we learn new things about this little girl, and I've noticed that even I even changed. Whenever she does something that would normally tick me off, I never got angry with her.

I was calm around her. She made me calm. Something that not many people could do.

Closing my book, I looked back down at Airis, who smiled in her sleep and snuggled closer into my stomach. I stroked her hair gently, watching the charm she gave me jingle as my wrist moved.

Since Airis gave me this charm, I had never taken it off, except for when I was taking a shower. It was the first time I had ever gotten a gift like that before, and even though I wasn't much of a jewelry person, I felt completely naked without this bracelet on.

"You really are something else, Airis." I whispered to myself. And it was true. Airis was someone I had never even imagined could exist.

Just her being here, seemed to bring more light to my world.

Just then, I was ripped from my thoughts by ths doorbell ringing. I gently removed Airis's head from my lap and went to answer the door, seeing Laurance and Garroth on the other side.

"Hello, Lady Katelyn." Laurance said.

"Never call me that again." I growled.

"Okay then, does Katelyn-chan work?"

"What do you guys want, aside from a death wish? And can you keep it down a little, Airis is asleep in the living room."

"Wow, you're just a ray of sunshine today, aren't ya?" Laurance said.

"I'll take it from here, Laurance." Garroth said, "Katelyn, uh... what Laurance was trying to say was, we're having a last minute New Year's Eve party at our house. We're also doubling it as a birthday party for Airis, but we want to keep that a surprise to her. We were wondering that if you girls didn't already have plans, would like to come to the party."

For a second, I had completely forgot about Airis's birthday. Aphmau said that it was at midnight tonight, according to what the little girl said. Her birthday was on New Years Day right at ths stroke of midnight. Talk about a rare birthday.