Chapter 70: Imperfect Reflection

ابدأ من البداية

"Mom sent us." Nelson said.

"Why?"

"Cause she said she hasn't heard from you in a month and she was starting to get worried."

Looking shocked Nina didn't even realized she forgot to message Natalia. She had been so consumed in her own family, she forgot about sending out a simple message. "Oh yeah, I've been busy lately." She excused. "Why didn't mom just come to tell me herself?"

"Cause she's really busy. Like insanely busy." Nick said. "Works been getting crazy you know. With finals and all. Mom said the paperwork's been piling up over the past few months. She's not leaving her office til next year she said." He ended with a chuckle.

"I feel bad for putting my work load on her. She's the one who got me that job at the university in the first place, and at this rate I'm taking a permanent leave." Nina rubbed the back of her neck. "I haven't worked in months after we took the girls in." She said mainly to herself.

"Girls?" Both of her brothers raised their brows.

"I thought it was just you and Lain." Nelson said.

"No, there's also...also..." Nick pondered as he snapped his fingers.

"Faye." Nina interrupted. "You're thinking of Faye."

"Oh that's right. I forgot you three were together." Nelson smiled.

"Well..." Nina blushed. "It's not so much the three of us anymore."

"What do you mean?" Nick asked. "Don't tell me you and Lain broke it off?!" His jaw dropped.

"What?! No! We're still together and happy-"

"Oh so it's Faye," Nelson said approaching his sister with a frown. Putting his hand on her shoulder he started to pat her gently. "I'm sorry to hear that you split with her."

"What?! No guys listen-"

"There's nothing to be upset about Nina. Nelson and I are here for you if you need us. We're sorry we haven't been around lately. Seems like the last time we saw Faye was during a video call for Christmas that one year." Nick stood at his brothers side as they consoled their older sister.

"Will you both shut-"

"If it makes you feel any better, sis, I brought a pie. It was just as a celebration treat for us being together again, but this also calls for an occasion to eat and forget." Nelson said cutting the woman off again. "You know Nick and I have found this new place in town, it's really good, maybe tonight we can go try-"

"Babe? Is everything alright?" Nelson was cut short as Lain walked down the stairs with Kaila in her arms as Lauren and Faye walked at her side. Neither of the three girls could let the woman go after her sudden disappearance earlier in the month. "Nick? Nelson?" The woman said happily walking over as she spotted the men.

The twins stared with no words left to say while Nina sighed in relief to see her family.

As Lain stood at her wife's side, she couldn't have been more thrilled to see her brothers-in-law. "It's great to see you both! Man, you guys have really become...well men." She laughed as the brothers just stared at the three girls quietly avoiding eye contact.

"Um...what's happening?" Nickolas asked on behalf of himself and Nelson.

"Well, if you doofuses would just let me speak for one minute, you would've let me explain that Lain, Faye, and I are all still together. We've just added two more. This is Kaila and Lauren. Say hi girls." The woman said as both their little ones turned to hide from view. Even Faye, who already met Nina's brothers once, didn't feel comfortable saying hello.

"They're shy." Lain excused.

"So there's five of you now." Nickolas looked towards his sister as she nodded with a smirk.

Shrugging his shoulders, Nick couldn't have been more impressed. "We knew one wasn't enough for you, N." He teased as Nina glared at him.

"It's nice to meet you all." Nelson tried to approach the girls slowly but Kaila whined the instant he got close enough to touch her.

"Sorry Nelson, just give the girls some space. They don't do so well meeting new people." Lain explained.

"Sorry about that. We really have been gone for a long time Nick."

"You can say that again." His brother smiled. "Should I expect another one to show up out of nowhere soon?" Nickolas said as the couple broke into laughter.

"No this is all of us." Nina said after coming down from her high of chuckles. "Girls, I want you to meet Uncle Nickolas and Uncle Nelson. Their mama's brothers." Nina said picking Lauren up from besides Lain.

Not being the first time her brothers have heard of their sisters lifestyle, they stood unfazed just smiling as Nina introduced them.

"Brothers?" Lauren asked. "They look same." She whispered into Nina's ear.

Laughing as she hugged her little girl close, Nina explained. "Their twins sweet pea."

The girl nodded as she couldn't help but stare. While fashion wise they were completely different, the men's physical features were nearly identical. If it weren't for their clothes, Nelson's mustache, and Nickolas's muscles, the girls wouldn't be able to tell the men apart.

"Do you want a tip on how to tell who's who?" Nick smiled as he leaned closer to the three girls. Just being met with six eyes all staring him down, the man smirked. "I'm the better looking twin." He loudly whispered.

"You mean the oldest looking twin. I can see your grey's from here." Nelson added making all three girls chuckle.

Huffing at his brothers comment, Nick rolled his eyes as he stood up straight. "Anyways, I hope we're not interrupting anything." He tried to move on as he shook his head free from his brothers annoying look of sarcasm as he addressed the couple.

"No, not at all. We were just staying in today." Nina said. "Did you guys need something? Or were you just here to check up on me?"

"Nope we were just here to check up. You know how mom gets when she's worried. She'll stop at nothing until her minds put to rest." Nelson said.

"Well you're both more than welcome to stay if you'd like." Lain offered. "We've only got one extra bedroom, but somebody can use the couch."

Looking at one another the brothers seemingly made up their decision in an instant. "We'd be more than happy to take you up on that offer. I missed getting to spend time with my favorite girls. And now I get to meet you're favorite girls!" Nick said enthusiastically while the three silent girls gulped.

Bouncing Kaila on her hip and holding Faye close to her side, Lain tried to comfort them after seeing the nervous expressions on their faces. "This is going to be fun." She cheered.
——————————————————————————
Let me know what you think. Thanks Lexx signing off