Chapter 8

1999

True to my word, we did spend some time together over the summer holidays. Probably not as often as I would have liked but at least we managed to spend time away from the schools prying eyes.

Although, we never did manage any alone time, did we? Nicola was with us every time we met. Didn't you trust my intentions? Or was it that you needed her around so you didn't cheat on Ricky? I'm assuming you were together as you declined a few days together when I asked if you were busy. Or maybe you were busy? Either way, I gave you the benefit of the doubt.

Our go to spot was always the local parks. Neither of us had parents who worked their asses off but didn't earn enough to supplement us a 'wage' for the summer so going out to anywhere that needed money just wasn't an option.

It was that summer that made me want to get a job as soon as I finished school, I needed money and needed to provide for my children should they ever find themselves in our situation. I couldn't allow my children to feel the pain I felt with you.

We would talk nonsense for hours on end. I absolutely loved your company and spending these precious moments together will always bring back fond memories for me but we didn't really do much.

We would walk the streets, laughing and joking, getting lost in one another's eyes but she was always there to burst our little love bubble. She hated being the third wheel but I could tell she enjoyed ruining our time together.

Nicola. To this day, I still hate that name.

She hated seeing you happy, she hated the fact that you were far more attractive than her, hated that you had two boys vying for your attention and I think deep down hated the fact that you enjoyed playing Ricky and I because she understood why you were the leader of the friendship group but hated that you could use that power on the opposite sex too.

Why could you not see that she despised everything about you but still called you her best friend?

Remember the time we laid on the grass on that scorching hot summers day? You were wearing a simple white vest top which worked wonders against your tanned skin and long brown hair, the reflection of the sun really bringing out the green in your eyes, your tight denim jeans hugging your legs and ass to perfection and I could tell you were comfortable that day when you took off your shoes and socks and allowed your feet to feel the grass beneath us. I had never seen such pretty toes before. Everything about you was perfect and today was as perfect as I could have been.

We lay looking up at the clouds, the three of us. Pointing out what we thought the clouds looked like.

By the way, that cloud you thought looked like a dog. Didn't look like a dog at all.

We laughed for hours as we peacefully played this game with the clouds. The moment felt right and I could t resist it any longer. Slowly moving my hand across the grass on top of yours for the first time. The electricity coursed through my entire body as you hooked your fingers into mine. It was a tiny gesture between us that meant so much to me. Our first real touch, our first act of intimacy after nearly a year of waiting.

To say this day was the best day of my life at this point in my life would have been an understatement. It was the greatest day in the history of the world.

I even grew to enjoy Nicola's company on that day. Granted, that feeling towards her wouldn't last long at all but it was nice while it lasted.

Time had ticked away and you had to get home. Ideally, I would have like to have walked Nicola home first that day, to give us some time alone on the short walk to your house but she insisted on taking you back first. I know why she done that, she knew we were going to kiss at your door. We could all feel something special was happening between the two of us that day but she couldn't bare it. She had to ruin it somehow.

We hugged at your door and said goodbye with no kiss. It was okay though, I knew it would happen soon enough.

After all, your birthday was coming up next week and I was going to make it a birthday you would never forget.

***