Chapter 43

I refused to let Caroline get to me on today of all days. She was there for one reason and one reason only and that was to ruin the prospect of you and I growing close again, Katie and to make sure the lies she had fed you about me didn't come back to bite her on the backside. I'd like to think you knew already that she was a bullshitter but on the flip side I knew first hand how manipulative she can be and how easy it is to fall for her lies.

When that girl span a web, it was impenetrable. Once you were caught, there was no getting away from her.

But something told me that karma would catch up with her a lot sooner than she expected.

I needed some air after bumping into her, I knew going back to mingle with everyone with her around wasn't an option, I needed some space before putting myself into that situation with so many people around, so I texted Danny and told him to head down to the pub without me and I'd join up soon. I lied and told him worked had called and was needed on a meeting so would pop to a coffee shop for some quiet and to join the zoom call. In my defence, only half of that story was a lie.

That day, I last saw you in person, Katie. Danielle told me to visit and she would treat me to anything I wanted and I had yet to take her up on that offer. It was fortunate that the chapel was a stones throw away from her coffee shop, so it would be rude not to drop in and say hello and to take her up on her offer. With any luck, there would be more on offer than originally expected. Let's pray her overbearing husband is on a stock run or something.

As I strolled down to the shop, it gave me an opportunity to become lost in my thoughts and decide on the best plan of action for the remainder of the day because all eyes would be on us, Katie. If we did manage to get 5 minutes alone to strike up a conversation it was only natural that people would take notice and look over, so I knew I had to play it safe and construct the conversation in such a way that any ears close to us would be unable to hear or jump on any conclusions as to what we were discussing, after all we both had marriages to uphold and respect.

Don't get me wrong, given the opportunity, I would risk my marriage for you but I'd have to figure out whether you would put yourself in that situation before any potential moves were made.

The sun was creeping through the clouds above, taking away the morning chill in the air. It was clearly going to be one of those day where you wake up and dress for winter only to find yourself sweating and overly dressed for the mini heatwave the afternoon would bring.

Damn British weather!

I peaked in to make sure Danielle was still working here, I hadn't seen her post anything recently but to my relief there she was stood behind the counter, her dirty blonde hair tied back in a bun as she served the customer in front of her and from what I could tell the husband was nowhere to be seen.

"Hello stranger!" I walk in with my arms wide open. Hoping she would run into them and maybe just smell her scent on me. She was still as gorgeous as ever.

"Tommy! Where the bloody hell have you been? I've waited years for you to come back and visit"

The hug didn't come.

"I know I'm sorry, I'm not really in the area that often any more but I'm here now." I smile as I throw my hands down on the counter.

"What can I get for you, honey?" She smiles sweetly, her thin pink lips curling to show off her beautiful dimples on her cheeks.

I raise my eyebrow and bite my lip as I lean in close and whisper. "That depends on what is on offer" I wink as I move over the counter top slightly.

Her cheeks began to redden as she flashed me a wry smile. "You'll have to come back at closing time for my after hours specials"

Fuck! Was she being serious or was she just playing along? Either way, there was something happening in my boxers as she met me halfway across the counter.