Plagued nights -Kale's POV

Kale's POV-

Preparations for the night were verily underway. Breakfast hadn't even been served yet, but the whole pack was already getting ready for the night. No one could sleep, the Moon's pull was strong on us and we could all feel it.

Everyone was pitching in for the new full moon celebrations that we were adopting. Some were skeptical of the new custom that we were attempting, many were excited, pretty much everyone was impressed though. They were all ready for a change, we all were ready for a change.

Rita finally announced that breakfast was ready. Everyone began piling into the dining room quickly after that. We were all very hungry and restless wolves.

I watched Lucy as she talked with Nat animatedly as she waited for the pack to get their food before her. She looked exhausted as usual, but she was still looking happy. That was, until Raven walked up beside me. Lucy's face instantly dropped when she caught sight of her in the corner of her eye.

"Where have you been?" Nat asked as she looked at her with distaste.

"Sleeping?" She said in a condescending tone. "I was unaware that we were all apparently getting up early."

"No one could sleep with the full moon's pull on us and excitement for the celebrations and preparations today." Nat said with an eyebrow raised. "You do not feel it?"

"Of course, I feel the pull, all wolves do... but the pack that I was with before taught us how to repel those feelings."

"Repel?" Lucy finally chimed in. "Why repel?" She was acting genuinely curious.

"Because those feelings are not helpful." She said matter-of-factly. "Look at all of you... unable to sleep through the night because of the pull and it was not even the day of, kind of pathetic if you ask me."

"We did not need the sleep." Lucy said as she smiled at a few more people who were getting in line for food. "I am energized through the pull of the moon, personally. I think that it is much more helpful playing into and embracing the energies that you feel rather than using even more energy to repel it, but I suppose that's just me."

Raven rolled her eyes and went to get into line. "Are you coming?" She asked me.

"Once every else has gotten in line and has gotten some food." I answered.

She scoffed. "Alpha and Lunas are supposed to eat first. What if they run out of food?"

"Not in my pack, Raven." I said forcefully. "My pack comes first. If there is a limited supply of food, then I'd prefer that to go to them and not myself."

Lucy smiled and touched my cheek, "that is lovely, Kale."

"I've spent too much time not putting them first. You've showed me that, and I'll forever be indebted to you for that." I kissed her hand gently and smiled back. "They are first."

Raven scoffed and ruined our little moment. "That is backwards and not how it is supposed to be."

I sighed at her words.

"You are only saying that because of her. You are letting her, a girl who knows nothing of pack hierarchy, pollute your mind with false narratives to weaken you and your pack."

I stared at Raven like she was crazy.

"Think about it... Is your pack going to continue respecting you and your authority if you act like this? Is your pack going to know who is boss?"