Mate -Kale's POV

Kale's POV-

The cell phone that sat in the corner of my desk finally began ringing. They were supposed to be back already, or at least very close. I knew they couldn't be too close because I couldn't mind-link them yet.

"Sam, where the hell are you? Y'all should have been here an hour ago." I said gruffly.

"Sorry alpha..." Sam said cautiously.

"How did it go?" I asked curiously for the report that I had been kept waiting for.

"Most are dead." He replied seriously.

I hated that the word was most and not all, but I knew it was damn near impossible to kill everyone. Especially since I couldn't go with them due to Alpha Rodriguez's arrival. "Most?" I questioned.

"Fleming and some warriors got away; he's presumably hiding with one of the surrounding packs in the area." He replied swiftly.

"How many warriors?" I asked annoyed that evil Fleming got away.

"Five or six, Fleming had ten surrounding him. We got as many as we could before he got away. Harrow is dead though, we got to him before he got away." Sam replied and paused. "And-" he hesitated.

"And?" I asked quickly.

"There's someone else that we left alive. She's reason we're running late actually." He continued.

"What?! I told y'all no prisoners!" I commanded in a firm voice.

"Yes sir, I know but, but- she um..." he began but I got impatient.

"But what? Are you going against your alpha's orders, Samuel?" I question in a hard voice.

"No! We aren't taking her as a prisoner... She, um, said she is your mate." He answered instantly stunning me into silence.

How would she even know if I was her mate? That made absolutely zero sense. There was no way, I don't have a mate. I've been to their pack before, just like all of the others, I didn't find my mate. I searched for five damn years. My mate doesn't exist, I don't have one.

"Well she is a liar." I stated with a growl.

"I think so as well, but I'm going to bring her to you so you can deal with her. She is very.... different." He replied cautiously. Different how? What did he mean? I didn't ask any of those questions though. "We need five cars to meet us, we should get back home by noon if we hurry."

"Okay, bring her to me." I stated darkly, making sure not to get my hopes up at all. There had been too many girls that had already said that they thought they were my mate, they never were. This girl would be no different. "The cars will be on their way shortly."

I hung up the phone and got some lower ranked warriors to go pick them up. Sam said she was different. Different how? Could she actually be my mate? I pushed that thought out of my head quickly, that's impossible. I don't have a mate. I spent over five years looking for her through each and every pack. She wasn't there, she didn't exist. I was meant to be alone.
————

Are all the preparations for alpha Rodriguez's arrival complete? He said he is running a bit late due to pack business. He and a few members of his pack should be arriving within the hour. I mind-linked Trevor, who was my third in command.

Yes alpha, each group of warriors are set up in their designated zone. Trevor mind-linked back.

Excellent, Rodriguez was coming to talk about the treaty and ways we could help each other but you could never be too careful. We had to be ready for an attack. Although, due to the recent attack that the north launched on Rodriguez's pack a few weeks before I didn't think we had to be that prepared, but that was beside the point. A good Alpha was prepared for everything.