Chapter Twenty-Five: Paying Dues

"You should have seen the look on his face," Yonji cackled at his own comment and Luffy turned the corner to find Yonji talking his brothers. The three of them were walking down the empty hall towards Luffy. None of them paid Luffy any attention, but instead, they kept talking about Sanji in ways that made Luffy's blood boil. That was their first mistake. Luffy wasn't just someone to ignore.

"When that flag finally caught fire, he looked like he was going to cry," Niji snickered, grinning with pride at his own vile words. Luffy clenched his jaw and tried to ignore them as he walked towards them. Sanji wanted him to stay out of it. Luffy had to least try to honor that. As long as they did nothing to outright provoke Luffy while he was near them. Then those losers were all fair game.

"What did that flag even mean?" Yonji wandered, looking up at the ceiling. Luffy recalled the pink, blue, and purple flag. Sanji had been scared to buy it but even more worried about taking it back home. The flag actually lived in Zoro's trunk for a little while.

"Probably some of that LGBT bullshit," Ichiji said. "You did see Sanji with a guy after all. That's what started this whole mess. What's he thinking, bringing that gross shit home anyway?"

"It wasn't a rainbow..." Niji added as an afterthought. Luffy slowed down a bit as he walked toward them.

"They've got flags for all kinds of backward bullshit that doesn't make any sense." Ichiji wove his hand as he spoke and sighed.

"Yeah, it was so gross," Yonji fake gagged and that was it for Luffy. It wasn't just about Sanji when Yonji said that. It was about Zoro and Kai, Shanks, Mihawk, Ace and Nami. Vivi, Chopper, and Luffy. Luffy had it out for all three of those bastards. It was just before lunch and there was no one else in the hall. He could take all three of them easy.

Luffy agreed to stay out of it but he never promised Sanji anything and this wasn't just about Sanji anymore. But it was mostly about Sanji. The memory of Sanji's bruises carried the weight behind Luffy's fist as he punched Yonji in the nose.

It had been a while since Luffy got into a fight and Ace and Sabo would definitely chew him out for it. But that didn't matter now. He just needed to show these jackasses they can't mess with Luffy's friend anymore. Not even if he was their brother. How could they even treat their brother like that anyway?

"What the fuck?" Yonji doubled over, holding his nose. Luffy wasn't backing down yet.
Ichiji and Niji grabbed Luffy and pinned him to the wall. Luffy was ready to take on all three of these losers. He didn't care.

Luffy yanked his arm free from Niji and elbowed him into the wall. He then turned and swung his fist at Ichijis face. His fist made contact and Ichiji's head slammed into the wall. Yonji was in Luffy's face now and Luffy head-butted him, there was a succinct cracking sound and blood rushed down Yonji's face.

Luffy got away from Ichiji and the wall, he turned to face them and backed up a bit, waiting for them to come at him. He knew they would and they did. Niji was the first one to charge at him, Luffy caught him in it and used his elbow to make Niji meet his knee. Ichiji was in Luffy's range not a moment later, he knocked Luffy on his ass and kicked him in the ribs. It knocked the air out of his lungs.

Luffy just managed to catch his breath when a wad of spit landed on his arm.

"What the fuck is wrong with you?" Yonji demanded. Luffy glared up at him and got himself to sit upright. The blood that covered Yonji's face was pretty satisfying.

"I should be asking you that!" Luffy snapped. "How can you treat you brother like that?" These guys didn't deserve to have brothers. Brothers were supposed to look out for each other, protect each other.