Chapter Seventy-Two: Caring for the Beast

A/N  Please do not expect any consistency from me anytime soon <3

I am regretting writing Law and Bonney together in light of recent events. 

Sleep still had Law clutched in its grasp. Exhaustion clung to his eyes and shoulders the way wet dough clings to skin. The rattling knock at his door did little to free Law from the clutches of grogginess. The coffee pot began to growl as the water heated up. Whatever was at his door could have his attention until the coffee was done and not a moment more.  Law shuffled to his front door, giving as little energy as he could get away with to his movement. Bepo ran at his feet. The little creature had done very little to keep out of Laws path. If Law had been moving with any sort of purpose Bepo wouldn't have stood a chance. 

Law made it to thew door at long last and swung it open to reveal none other than Luffy. Law stood up a little straighter and became uncomfortably aware of his baggy sweatpants. The semi messy state of his apartment began to creep into his thoughts too. "You're here ear—"

"Where is he?" Luffy looked up at Law with such a serious expression you would have thought it was a life or death situation. He pushed past Law to let himself in and tripped over Bepo. The kitten let out a loud, offended meow at Luffy. "There!" Luffy scooped up Law's little white ball of fur with this biggest shit eating grin Law had ever seen. 

"He's so tiny, he's got no muscle at all!" Luffy held Bepo in the air to get a good look at the cat. It's fur on its belly was thick and matted. If the creature had flees, Law couldn't see them through the mess of fur. He and Lami had done their best to get as much dirt out as they could but they could only do so much. 

"I don't even know if its a 'he'" Law muttered. He scratched the back of his head. Bepo began to wiggle and writhe in Luffy's hands so Luffy returned him to the safety of the floor. Law was given no warning when Luffy embraced Law in a bone crushing hug. 

"Are you ready to go yet?" Luffy looked up at Law with his chin pressed firmly into Law's chest. Law sighed and wrapped an arm around Luffy.

"No, and I'm not leaving until I've had coffee," Law said. 

Luffy chattered endlessly with Law while he got ready. If it were anyone else, Law would have been irate. But with Luffy? He could listen to Luffy talk all day. It was good company while Law got dressed and had his coffee. Luffy didn't expect Law to talk very much. It worked out well for Law, he didn't have much to say. By 9 the two were  on their way to the bus stop. Bepo was in an open shoe box in Law's backpack. There had little else to carry Bepo in so this would have to do. Luffy kept a grip on Law's hand while they walked and through most of their journey to the vet. Law made an appointment online and they arrived at the office just in time. 

The lobby was nearly empty Just a young woman with a large dog and a older man with a rabbit were waiting. Luffy found the three of them a seat while Law checked in with the receptionist. It was a woman with short black hair. She held her hand up like she was accustom to holding a cigarette between her fingers. 

"It'll be about ten minutes," she said. Law took his leave and found a seat next to Luffy. He took care to move his bag carefully just like he had on the bus ride there. He popped open the bag to check on Bepo. He was curled up in the shoe box and had been napping before being so disrespectfully interrupted by Law. 

"Aren't cats supposed to be scared of vets?" Luffy asked. He was leaning in close to Law trying to get a good look at Bepo. 

"I don't think he's ever been to a vet." Law rested his elbow on the back of his chair and brought his foot up to rest on his knee and keep the bag in his lap balanced.