Chapter Sixty-Two: It's Warm Now

A/N: Hey guys! Sorry this chapter is a little late, but I hope the ending makes up for it!!! See you next week~

Law searched Ace's expression for a reaction. He expected judgment, anger, even shame. But there was none of that. He wanted to step further into the room but his feet were rooted to the worn-down linoleum. Lami pushed Law forward just enough to get Law's feet to move for him.

She let herself into the room and looked over at Ace as if no time had passed at all since the last time she spoke to him.

"Hey, Ace, how're you feeling?" She asked. The curt glance she gave Law scolded him for not asking Ace that the moment he walked in.

Ace shook his head. He didn't care about that a single bit, even Law could see that. He shrugged all the same and said, "I'll be fine." He sat up a little straighter and pressed his lips together in a flat line.

His eyes were fixed on Law as he spoke. "You're okay now, though right?" Ace paused for a moment. "I mean nothing you have to worry about because of the overdose?"

Law opened his mouth to speak but he was at a loss for words. He had spent the walk to Ace's room preparing himself to be yelled at, scolded, even called names. Kindness wasn't part of the plan though. Law took a moment to pull his thoughts together and give Ace a response.

"No," Law assured, and after a moment or two, "I'll be fine."

Ace gave Law a small smile. "That's a relief."

"How are you feeling?" This came from Sabo. All of the anger Sabo had unsheathed on Law earlier was gone. That or Sabo was getting really good at hiding it.

Law dared to glance at Sabo. He was sitting in one of the visitor's chairs, leaning forward with his elbows resting on his knees and the folded together. Sabo was watching Law with a neutral gaze that made it next to impossible to tell how angry he was.

"Like shit," Law admitted, bringing his gaze back to Ace and Luffy. Luffy's face exposed exactly how worried he was in the way his brows furrowed and his left cheek dipped inward from Luffy chewing on the inside of it. Law didn't deserve Luffy's worry. Not in the slightest. And it wasn't just because Law had dug the grave he was in now. He had been treating Luffy terribly recently and this was just another thing to add to that list.

"I'm sorry, Law," Ace said. His words pulled Law out of his own head with the sheer sincerity in them. Law's stomach twisted in knots. What on earth did Ace have to be sorry about? Law should be the one apologizing for this mess. He was the one that decided to hang out with Ikakku, he was the one that took the pills from her.

And he was the one that promised he'd say something to Ace or Sabo.

"It's not your fault," Law said with no bite to his words. "I'm the dumbass that took the pills."

"Yeah, you are," Ace agreed. "But I told you I wouldn't let this happen."

"And I promised you I'd say something," Law retorted.

"It doesn't matter anymore!" Luffy declared. He got to his feet and strode over to Law. Luffy unceremoniously pulled Law into a hug and looked up at him, resting his chin on Law's chest as he did. "What matters is that you're gonna get clean again and we're gonna be here to help!"

Law looked down at Luffy and managed to smile. Luffy was so caring and cute Law could kiss him. Maybe if Sabo, Ace, and Lami weren't in the room Law would have. Instead, Law wrapped his arms around Luffy and hugged him tight.

"Thanks, Lu," Law muttered. Luffy squeezed Law a little tighter and pressed his forehead into Law's chest. The comfort Luffy emitted only resulted in Law squeezing Luffy back just as tight.