ALTERNATE ENDING TO CHAPTER 16 BREATH OF LIFE

Demetri and Hazel went to meet with the werewolves and they found Hazel to their liking. It would be just days before Ella gave birth.

Demetri and I were laying on his bed when we heard an urgent pounding on Demetri’s bedroom door.

Demetri sighed and got up.

“What?” He growled as he opened the door.

It was Asher. His scent reeked of fear.

“It’s Ella; she’s sick. I don’t know what’s wrong with her. She’s throwing up and screaming and I don’t know what to do…” He trailed off.

“Please help her.” He pleaded.

“Luna, take care of him. I’m going to go see what I can do for Ella.” He said and I nodded.

I made full eye contact with him and connected with him. I made him relax.

“Asher, you’re going to forget this ever happened. Ella is in good health. You’re going to go now.” I compelled him.

“I’m going to forget this happened. Ella is in good health.” He paused with a confused look on his face.

“I’m going to leave now.” He repeated.

I let go of my mental hold on him. He exhaled and blinked twice.

“I don’t know when I’ll be back…” He said and scratched the back of his head.

“Watch after Ella, would you?” He requested.

I nodded and smiled.

I heard him go down into the basement and start a motorcycle and leave. I went to Ella’s room. She was convulsing on the bed and cradling her stomach. She let out a blood curdling scream.

“What’s happening to her?” I asked, panicking.

“Her uterus has the same genetic material in it that our vampire skin does, so it’s not making room for the baby too well. It’s ripping instead of stretching. We need to go. Now.” He said.

I nodded.

I ran down the hall and into Hazel’s room. I opened the door.

“It’s time.” I said.

“Okay, I’m ready.” She said and grabbed her bag.

We ran back to the room.

Demetri was drawing a weird solution into a needle, he then injected it into Ella’s skin. He picked her up bridal style and led the way. He put her into the back of a van.

“The werewolves are on their way.” Demetri said.

I nodded.

“What do I need to do?” I asked.

“Keep her still. If she moves too much, she may detach the placenta and that would kill the baby.” He said.

I got into the van and sat beside her. Her skin was translucent and clammy. Her stomach wasn’t big at all. She didn’t look pregnant. I saw her stomach jump and I heard a slight thump. I placed my hand delicately where I saw the jump and immediately felt a kick. I was feeling my baby kick. It was so unreal to think of it as mine.

The wolves arrived within minutes. Rose got in the car with us and the rest of the pack followed in their personal vehicles. Demetri drove as fast as he could without being pulled over. He didn’t want anymore delays. The faster we got there, the quicker we would be able to try to save Ella’s life.

“Where’s our witch?” Rose asked.

“In the back seat.” Demetri answered as he drove down the main highway.

She looked in the back at Hazel and her face froze.

“What’s wrong?” I asked.

Rose blinked twice and cleared her throat.

“Nothing.” She said and smiled.

After approximately fifty minutes of driving, we arrived at a cabin surrounded by nothing but forest.

“We’re here.” Demetri said.

He got out of the car and opened the side door.

He reached in and delicately picked Ella up.

We walked into the cabin and I was amazed at what I saw. He had the entire living room full of hospital equipment.

He put her down on a operating table and put an I.V in her hand and put some kind of liquid through it.

“Luna, stand on the right side of Ella. As soon as I get the baby out, grab those blue towels over there and take it from me so I can stitch Ella up.” Demetri said.

I took my position.

Ella’s stomach was trembling.

“What’s wrong?” I asked.

“The baby needs to be delivered. Now.” He said as he put on gloves then sterilized her stomach with beta-dine.

He cut about two inches below her belly button. Blood flowed like out like a water fountain. Ella screamed and arched her back. I heard a snap and almost immediately she went limp. With tears in his eyes, Demetri pulled the baby out of Ella’s uterus and looked at it for a split second after he cut the umbilical cord.

“It’s a girl.” He said as he choked back his tears and handed the baby to me.

I held her in my arms and gazed at her as she cried her first cries. She was beautiful. She was covered in bloody goop, but she was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen in my entire life. I gently wiped her skin with the towel.

Tears went down my cheeks for not only the death of one of my very best friends, but for the beautiful life that was brought into the world by her death.

Demetri stood beside Ella while he cried. I walked over to him and cried with him.

“She might have lived had it not been for her breaking her back.” He said quietly.

After a few seconds of silence, he walked outside slamming the door behind him.

I decided to give him a few minutes alone. I raided the supplies and found diapers and baby clothes. I cleaned the baby and put a diaper on her and a fresh pair of clothes.

I held her as she stared at my face. She had blonde hair and dark purple eyes just like Ella. She was so beautiful.

What were we going to name her? She was so pure, so innocent, and so loving. I couldn’t come up with anything that truly fit her. I felt terrible for taking her mother and father’s job. I walked into the living room where Ella lay on the operating table, motionless and stiff. Tears welled up in my eyes as I stared. I walked closer and placed my hand on hers. It was already cold. My heart ached as I realized she never even got to lay eyes on her baby.

“Ella,” I started. “This is your baby girl.” I said and wiped away the tears.

“Beautiful isn’t she?” I said and smiled slightly.

I felt like I was losing my mind, but she needed to meet her daughter. Even if she wasn’t physically here anymore.

The baby placed her hand on Ella’s forearm. I heard a crack and then saw her misshapen back look normal again.

Was this normal?

My tears stopped as I examined her in confusion. I was quiet for a few moments. Within seconds I heard quiet, but deep respirations.

A/N: Hey guys, I know what you're thinking. What the fudge muffins is this? Well, it's an alternate ending that I wrote because I really didn't want to kill Ella off. I love her. She's like my kid. But anyways, ultimately I decided to go with the other, more dramatic version. But I thought you guys might enjoy this alternate ending that I ALMOST chose because I love Ella so fudging much. I hope you enjoyed it! :D And also this is dedicated to the lovely, Unicorn_Pixie for giving me the name Ellie which I will probably use as a nickname at some point. :)