Chapter 16 ~~ Breath of Life

Demetri and Hazel went to meet with the werewolves and they found Hazel to their liking. It would be just days before Ella gave birth.

Demetri and I were laying on his bed when we heard an urgent pounding on Demetri’s bedroom door.

Demetri sighed and got up.

“What?” He growled as he opened the door.

It was Asher. His scent reeked of fear.

“It’s Ella; she’s sick. I don’t know what’s wrong with her. She’s throwing up and screaming and I don’t know what to do…” He trailed off.

“Please help her.” He pleaded.

“Luna, take care of him. I’m going to go see what I can do for Ella.” He said and I nodded.

I made full eye contact with him and connected with him. I made him relax.

“Asher, you’re going to forget this ever happened. Ella is in good health. You’re going to go now.” I compelled him.

“I’m going to forget this happened. Ella is in good health.” He paused with a confused look on his face.

“I’m going to leave now.” He repeated.

I let go of my mental hold on him. He exhaled and blinked twice.

“I don’t know when I’ll be back…” He said and scratched the back of his head.

“Watch after Ella, would you?” He requested.

I nodded and smiled.

I heard him go down into the basement and start a motorcycle and leave. I went to Ella’s room. She was convulsing on the bed and cradling her stomach. She let out a blood curdling scream.

“What’s happening to her?” I asked, panicking.

“Her uterus has the same genetic material in it that our vampire skin does, so it’s not making room for the baby too well. It’s ripping instead of stretching. We need to go. Now.” He said.

I nodded.

I ran down the hall and into Hazel’s room. I opened the door.

“It’s time.” I said.

“Okay, I’m ready.” She said and grabbed her bag.

We ran back to the room.

Demetri was drawing a weird solution into a needle, he then injected it into Ella’s skin. He picked her up bridal style and led the way. He put her into the back of a van.

“The werewolves are on their way.” Demetri said.

I nodded.

“What do I need to do?” I asked.

“Keep her still. If she moves too much, she may detach the placenta and that would kill the baby.” He said.

I got into the van and sat beside her. Her skin was translucent and clammy. Her stomach wasn’t big at all. She didn’t look pregnant. I saw her stomach jump and I heard a slight thump. I placed my hand delicately where I saw the jump and immediately felt a kick. I was feeling my baby kick. It was so unreal to think of it as mine.

The wolves arrived within minutes. Rose got in the car with us and the rest of the pack followed in their personal vehicles. Demetri drove as fast as he could without being pulled over. He didn’t want anymore delays. The faster we got there, the quicker we would be able to try to save Ella’s life.

“Where’s our witch?” Rose asked.

“In the back seat.” Demetri answered as he drove down the main highway.