EXTRA TWO.

extra chapter two
"—fine driver"

———

brief summary: lynn is learning how to drive, she's been practicing for some time but she still doesn't think she's good enough to pass the test. so, she enlists some of her best friends in hopes they can help.

"OKAY, GRANDMA, YOU'RE GOING FIVE under the speed limit."

Lynn huffed out in annoyance as she scrunched her face sourly towards John B sitting in the passenger seat beside her. She was currently driving the old, worn van so she could practice before taking her drivers test in three days. She was as nervous as could be, since she wasn't particularly impressed with her driving skills.

Pope, Kie, and JJ were all scattered in the back, where Kie and Pope were on John B's side, and JJ had two hands on Lynn's seat, gripping tightly—she wasn't sure if it was because he was nervous or if he was watching in anticipation.

"I'm a perfectly—" Lynn started, but she was interrupted when another car's horn blared to the right of her. She then realized when she had looked away, she had started to drift into his lane. "—Fine driver."

"I think the odds of us surviving this car ride are slim," Pope stated, and Lynn glanced to the rearview mirror to see him practically holding onto Kie for the life of him. Like a cat whose claws had stuck into a blanket while being picked up.

"Always so dramatic," JJ laughed as if Pope had told the most hilarious joke, probably because he was already getting high even though they all had plans to smoke tonight. "I think Evie's a good driver."

"Lynn'll be a good driver the day I'll be a Kook," Kie muttered loudly, and even though she wasn't showing it, she truly thought Lynn was going to get them all killed in a car crash.

"Guys, this negativity is not helping!"

The group of kids started to laugh a bit, but Lynn didn't find it so funny while she gripped the sterling wheel so tightly the whites of her knuckles were showing. She let out a shaky breath, flicking on her turning signal while glancing over her shoulder to get into the next lane.

"Okay, okay, how about we practice some parking?" John B suggested, pointing his slender index finger towards an empty parking lot due to a closed restaurant from a few years ago.

Lynn cringed up her face in embarrassment, knowing that she should hardly even be accepted onto the road, and knew her parking was only three times worse. Even against her gut, she slowed down by using the old brakes—which made a loud screeching noise as she did so, and she turned into the ghostly parking lot.

When Lynn came to a spot, Kie, Pope, JJ, and John B all exited the van to give a Lynn the space she so desperately needed. She nervously tapped her fingertips on the wheel with anxiety as John B pointed towards a specific parking spot Lynn would back into.

JJ seemed to notice how shaky and nervous she was, so when the two make eye contact, JJ flashed her the brightest of toothy smiles along with two thumbs up. And although she didn't hear what he had said, Lynn could understand his lips.

"You got this."

Lynn, however, didn't have this.

When she started to back up, she had realized she went over the bright yellow line and had accidentally parked in two spots. Not only that, she had pulled so far back that her back wheels actually went onto the soft grass instead of staying on the cement.

She cursed under her breath as she put the car back in drive, pulling forward to give it another go. This time, however, she had done a decently good job, she had only put one of her front wheels on the yellow line but the body of the car was still in the spot.

"That's my girl!" JJ cheered from the sideline, and Lynn let a nice grin crawl on her face. The rest of her friends were clapping, maybe it was because they were teasing her for messing up the first time, but it was still nice.

•••

It was the day of Lynn's drivers test. And to say she was nervous, was an understatement.

She was bubbling with anxiety, nervously picking at her nails as she waited for the man who was supposed to be the driving instructor. They were in another empty parking lot, where they would start off with parking and if she passed that part, she would then move onto the actually drivers part.

JJ placed a warm hand on Lynn's shoulder, almost startling her at first, but she quickly relaxed under his touch. She loved his touch.

"You can do this, Eve, I know you can," JJ stated, sending a sweet smile in Lynn's direction.

"I'm not so sure," Lynn replied, her voice sounding a bit raspy and shaky at the same time. She sucked in a deep breath, and gave whatever reassuring smile she could muster.

Lynn was suddenly taken off guard as JJ swarmed forward and enveloped her into a tight hug, and after taking a second to process it, she immediately hugged the boy back. She snaked her arms around his neck, where his were already on her waist, and then he spun them in the smallest of circles.

"You've got this, Evie, and after you easily ace this drivers test, we'll be throwing you a party at JB's," JJ whispered softly into Lynn's ear while he finally placed her back on her feet, where she was giggling and smiling like a child. "Big John's idea himself, surprisingly, however there will still most definitely be beer."

Lynn shook her head softly while trying to get the butterflies in her stomach under control, and then she gazed back up towards JJ.

"Time to kick this drivers tests ass!"

And, Evelynn Bardot, did in fact kick the drivers test in the ass. Well, she did get marked down a few points and if she had one more point docked, she wouldn't have passed.

But still, she passed!

a/n: yay! i know you've been patiently waiting for season 2 of outer banks to come back, so i figured i'd include a little background of lynn's driving! also i can't believe i just noticed how this book had received OVER 300K READS LIKE WOW!!! i'm honestly so impressed that so many of you love the story of evelynn, and i literally CANNOT wait until the next season comes out <3