49

chapter forty nine
"movie night"

———

"UH, J, YOU JUST PASSED the Chateau."

Lynn curiously raised her eyebrows over to JJ, who was steering the boat straight past the wooden dock to the Chateau. They had just dropped off Pope and Kie back to their parents houses, and the plan was to go to John B's for the night to see if he would come home. So, Lynn was a bit confused as to why he was just passing the shack.

"I know," JJ stated simply, peering over his shoulder for a second, but there was a slick smile written on his lips.

"What're you planning?" Lynn narrowed her blue eyes playfully at the blonde boy, questioning what was going on in that little head of his.

"It's a surprise."

Lynn glanced past the boy, her eyes on the water as it passed through the waves. There wasn't much on this part of the island other than fields and weeds, so she couldn't really put her finger on where JJ was going.

So, she stayed quiet. She was mostly just interested on where they were actually going, and knew JJ wouldn't want to ruin the surprise by revealing any tips that could give it away. It took a little over ten minutes before JJ's cranked down the engine, and they shifted from traveling straight on the marsh to change directions towards the land where they could pull off and tie off the boat.

Lynn recognized the small patch of grass and dirt as the same place where the crumbled building was that the Pogue used to hang out a lot at. The sad memories of the last event to take place here, JJ storming off after hearing that Lynn and John B shared a kiss, flooded Lynn's mind and she was a bit confused as to why they were here.

"J, what're we doin' here?" Lynn asked, jumping off the Pogue onto the squishy ground as JJ finished tying off the rope to a nearby wooden stump.

"I'm taking you out on a date, Evelynn Bardot."

Lynn glanced over her shoulder towards JJ, and a wide smile took over her face. JJ followed her same action from a minute before, by hopping off the boat carefully so his ass wouldn't land in the water.

"That's very sweet of you, but if you can't tell," Lynn chuckled, raising her arm to point around the dim area. "There's nothing here."

"Oh, really?" JJ tilted his head to the side while trying his best to sound confused, but he wasn't very convincing.

Lynn furrowed her eyebrows as JJ started walking away from her towards the crumbled bricks of the building. The curiosity got the best of her, so she quickly followed JJ on his heel as he walked a few yards away.

When JJ turned the corner past the highest part of the brick wall, he stopped in his steps proudly and spun to see Lynn's reaction.

Lynn let out a small gasp as her eyes finally landed on what JJ was excitedly pointing at. There, hanging by being tucked in between bricks of the wall, was a clean white sheet. A few feet away from it, on the soft grass, were a few multi colored blankets sprawled around with a couch pillow or two. By the pillows, right behind them, was a metal object Lynn recognized as a projector that was aimed at the white sheet. Next to the wall, was a red cooler and there were a few bags of chips leaning against it.

"J," Lynn breathed out, and she let out a soft scoff in surprise that somebody would go through all this trouble to make a beautiful date for her.

"Are there enough snacks? I wanted popcorn because you shouldn't watch a movie without popcorn but I wasn't sure how to bring a microwave out here so I could actually make it for you and—"

"—JJ, it's perfect," Lynn interrupted JJ's fast rumbling, and she enveloped the boy into a huge bear hug. She pulled her arms around his neck, digging her face into the crook of his neck. JJ was taken by surprise by the girl, but immediately wrapped his arms around her torso. Lynn felt like she could quite actually cry, but she didn't want to be dramatic, so she murmured softly into his neck. "No ones ever done something this nice for me before..."

"This is just the beginning, princess."

Lynn pulled her head back from the boy, a sweet smile taken on her lips with her eyes wet from the emotion.

"Oh my God, are you gonna cry?" JJ gasped dramatically, with a teasing tone.

Lynn only grumbled a few words under her breath because her hard, badass exterior was only fading. She punched JJ in the shoulder jokingly, pursing her lips angrily at the boy for exposing her softness.

"No!" Lynn shouted, and she kept the pretend angry face while she crossed her arms over her chest.

"Shit, I was only joking, are you really mad?" JJ asked after a moment of seeing Lynn's annoyed expression. He was a bit worried that he had just gone and ruined the whole date night.

Lynn's face shifted instantly after seeing how stressed JJ actually was, and she let out a quick laugh while shaking her head to the side.

"I'm joking, babe," Lynn grinned, her white teeth shining brightly. "C'mon, movie night."

Lynn grabbed JJ's hand and tugged him forward towards the blanket, which they carefully stepped on after shedding their muddy shoes. Lynn relaxed on the blankets and placed her arms under her head as she stared up towards the stars. JJ fiddled with the projector for a moment, and she was almost worried that something had gone wrong with it from sitting outside for so long, but just as she was about to say something; the light flickered on and a movie started playing on the white sheet.

"C.H.U.D.? Again?" Lynn chuckled, glancing up to see an excited JJ staring at the screen.

"I thought it was fitting," JJ smiled, moving his body so he would be laying down beside Lynn.

She instinctively raised her head above the pillow so JJ could place her arm under her, and he pulled her body closer to his as he did so. JJ grabbed the extra blanket off to the side, and threw it over the blondes, then grabbed the yellow bag of lays that was a foot or so away.

"This is amazing," Lynn complimented, planting a quick peck on JJ's cheek as her eyes landed on the film starting. "Thank you, J."

"You're welcome, princess."

So, the rest of the night was spent with a mixture of crazy movies no ones heard of, deliciously unhealthy snacks, and stargazing to determine which shining star would belong to JJ and Lynn.

And it was amazing.