✓ THIRTY FIVE.

chapter thirty five
"skeeter"

chapter thirty five"skeeter"

      "OH, SHIT!"

      LYNN IMMEDIATELY FLUNG her head over her shoulder as she saw JJ trip on some bushes while apparently trying to run away from a bird that dipped lowly from the sky. She let out a breath of relief, worried some axe murderer was chasing him — but then just deadpanned towards the boy as he finally caught up.

      "You literally scared the shit out of me," Lynn complained, shoving the boys shoulder as the two of them followed the rest of the crew inside a shadow filled and ominous hole — which was leading them into Mrs. Crains basement.

      The place looked creepy, to say the least. There were a bunch of spider webs hiding in the dark wooden ceiling beams, not to mention all the old, wooden furniture scattered in multiple places. Most of it appeared broken, or useless in general, she didn't know how this could be someone's actual basement. If this were her, she would've filled the whole place up with cement to never think of it again.

      "Down came Mrs. Crain and cut off all our heads," JJ sang, using the itsy bitsy spider song from their childhood but replaced the once light lyrics with the darker ones. "Up came the sun and dried up all the blood."

      "Can you stop?" Pope snapped with a question, glaring back towards JJ and Lynn behind him, probably because he was only adding to the fear.

      "See any water?"

      Lynn searched the dark basement with her flashlight, but it didn't look like anything wet could be down here. Everything looked dry as can be, even the pipes, she shrugged as a response — she had a weird feeling, and just wanted to get the hell out of here.

      "There's not even water on the pipes," JJ added, his hands trailing the rusty pipe. He had voiced Lynn's skepticism before she could, truly a perfect match.

      "Guys, there's no water down here," Lynn stated, pointing her flashlight at a creepy looking wooden crib that was tucked in a corner, and her body unconsciously shuddered.

      "Not a dropamino."

      "Know why we didn't find it?" Kie questioned, and she stopped in her steps in the middle of the basement. She popped her arms up into the air aimlessly, and Lynn prepared herself. "Bad karma."

      There it is.

      Lynn mentally facepalmed, knowing that Kie was probably about to go on another rant about how John B had included Sarah on their treasure hunt, "Really?"

      "Y'know, we had a good thing going," Kie continued, narrowing her dark hazel eyes at John B suspiciously. "And then, you decide to rope in Barbie and now the trails gone dry. Coincidence? Probably not."