✓ SIXTEEN.

chapter sixteen
"c'mere, princess"

      "WHO ELSE THINKS TODAY WAS like, forty hours long?"

      Lynn stretched her arms out over her head as the three kids entered the Chateau, letting out a dramatic yawn — which was only half true. After cleaning up the mess at The Wreck, Kie and Pope separated from the group to go home, leaving the three, practically orphans, to go home together.

      "More like fifty," John B complained with just a slice of annoyance, but mostly sarcasm, but then a smile etched on his lips as he continued. "But you guys, tonight was a good relief."

      John B tugged on both JJ and Lynn by wrapping his arms around their shoulders, and forcing them into a giant side hug. The group laughed as he did so, not fighting against it, but enjoying it. It truly was a relief, from everything.

      "Damn right it was," JJ beamed, his eyes glancing to the beautiful smile that stretching on Lynn's face as she teasingly shoved John B off her. "It was a good night, y'all."

      "We need more like it," Lynn agreed, his head bobbing as she nodded alongside the two boys. "Seriously, it just seems like we've been so worried or stressed about things lately. I think we deserve a little break once in awhile."

      "That statement," John B commented, releasing from now just JJ's side hug as he pointed a single index finger towards Lynn. "Is completely accurate."

      Lynn collapsed dramatically on the pull-out couch they were too lazy to spring back this morning, and practically let out a moan at how amazing the usually uncomfortable bed felt. Her back was aching, her feet were tired, she just wanted to sleep for a full twenty-four hours.

      "You, Evelynn Bardot, are a weirdo."

      "I love you, too, John Booker Routledge!" Lynn exclaimed, flashing the boy with a broad, bright smile as he started walking down the hallway to his room, right in the middle of the bathroom and then Big John's.

      "Goodnight, you two," John B replied, shaking his head at his best friends sarcastic and funny response.

      "Goodnight," both JJ and Lynn stated at the time, ultimately narrowing their eyes at each other suspiciously, before bursting into laughter with each other.

      The two took the time to switch into more suitable clothes for bed, where JJ was wearing a white tank top with black sweats, and Lynn had on a pair of dark grey shorts that were just a few inches after her butt, and then a dark navy blue tee she had stolen from JJ awhile ago. It could perhaps even be longer than her shorts, and that was how she loved sleeping.