✓ FOUR.

chapter four
"kegger?"

      "THANK GOD, I'VE BEEN NEEDING to get wasted ever since I thought I was gonna die on the roof

      "THANK GOD, I'VE BEEN NEEDING to get wasted ever since I thought I was gonna die on the roof."

      Lynn swiped a red solo cup from JJ's grasp, one he was actually drinking himself, but finders keepers — I suppose. She flashed him a quick smile, one he returned by only simply rolling his blue eyes, and she scrunched up her nose in victory.

      The party they were holding in the Boneyard was only growing by the minute, with plenty of Pogues, Kooks, and Tourons filling the sandy shores. She definitely had a few drinks by now, and was feeling a slight buzz, but nothing too drastic.

      Lynn searched the area around to witness Kie was talking it up with some cute Pogue boy, and then she noticed Pope was mid conversation with a pretty blonde. She was sitting beside JJ currently, mostly because she wasn't in the mood to talk to new people. He had a short conversation with a girl, but stopped talking to her when he noticed she wasn't exactly in a good mood.

      "Hey, Eve, what's up?"

      Lynn switched from staring at her burying her flipflops into the sand to JJ, who had now scooted closer to her, their hips bumping against each other. She shrugged slightly, taking another sip of the red solo cup she had in her hand.

      "Just thinking," Lynn murmured back, biting down on her lower pink lip.

      "You always chew on your bottom lip when you're upset," JJ stated, looking off into the distance rather than glancing at Lynn. She gazed up to make eye contact with him, and flashed him a small smile, a bit forced however.

      "That noticeable?" Lynn joked, letting out a quick chuckle as she stared at her intertwined hands resting on her lap.

      "You can talk to me, Evie."

      JJ Maybank was the only person in the world to call her Evie, or even Eve. She had always gone by Lynn, but when she met JJ, he insisted that he get to call her a name that no one else did. So, there in the third grade, he came up with Evie, named after his apparent favorite pokémon.

      "I know, J," Lynn smiled, and then she rested her head on his shoulder for a moment while she stared at the endless people having the time of their lives on the beach. He wrapped his arm around her body, pulling her a bit closer.

      "I'm happy you're my best friend, Evie, I wouldn't know what to do without you," JJ replied, and Lynn's eyes narrowly avoided him to fall to the ground softly.