✓ TWENTY.

chapter twenty
"this idiot"

chapter twenty"this idiot"

"NO, STOP, STOP. PLEASE stop!"

Lynn glanced accusingly over her shoulder at John B's grunting, and he shot her a wink quickly as he gained the police officer — aka, Mr. Big Head, and Cheryl's attention from the front of the car.

The two Pogues were forced to make some light bags, and disappear into the back of the police car to head over to the main DCS office. Lynn wasn't just going to leave John B behind, because if he was getting wrestled in, then she may as well too.

"My picture!" John B begged, now bringing out his full puppy dog eyes — Lynn had known better to see right through them, but by the way Cheryl's eyes hovered in the rear view mirror, she had seemed to buy it.

Lynn now understood that it was her turn to sell her part of the story, so she jerked forward to dramatically glance out the window, "Stop the goddamn car! Are you going to be the jerk to cost him the last picture of his dad?"

"Not gonna happen, kids."

"C'mon, just stop the car!" John B pleaded, and Lynn was trying to hide the smirk appearing on her face — already knowing that the tough exterior of Cheryl was crumbling like play-do at his nerve wracking and cracking voice. "Please, that's all I've got left."

The woman seemed to regret the next few words before they even fell out of her mouth, and she rolled her eyes simply, "Pull over."

The man annoying exhaled a loud breath of air, turning the steering wheel so that he would pull over, off the gravel riddled road. Lynn and John B quickly exchanged swift glances, practically asking if the other would be ready to run at any moment. She switched over her shoulder and out the back window, noticing the police officer was pretty distracted in searching the ditches off the road for that picture of John B's.

"Cheryl, can I help him look? Please?"

"He's got it," Cheryl commented back, and she sounded a bit agitated by John B's whining. She was already mentally scolding herself for stopping the car in the first place, it was scribbled all over her face.

"Mr. Big Head has absolutely no idea where it is," Lynn pointed out, her slender index finger directly pointing the police officer as he simply shrugged his shoulders, as he couldn't see anything.

"This idiot, he's not even looking in the right place," John B complained. "It's gonna get trashed. Cheryl, please, it's my final keepsake of my dad. Are you really gonna let they happen?"

"Yeah, are you going to be the villain in this story?" Lynn added, a bit proud of herself as her blue eyes started hazing over with a light gloss, selling their fake honesty even further. Cheryl switched between the two kids in the back seat, and then back out the window at the officer.