✓ NINE.

chapter nine
"yay, babysitting"

      "I MEAN, IT'S OBVIOUS, RIGHT?"

Currently, the Pogue crew were off to Redfield Lighthouse, a place that John B stated his dad loves. John B was driving the old VW van, with Kie sitting in the front seat, where JJ, Pope, and Lynn were sitting scattered in the back.

Pope was on the passengers side, leaning his head backwards on the window while he was swinging the compass in front of his eyes. JJ and Lynn were sitting on the drivers side, where she was leaning her back against John B's seat and JJ was sitting a foot or so away from her. She had comfortably crossed her legs on top of his lap, and he had placed both of his hands on her bare skin.

Lynn hadn't said much since JJ snapped the roosters neck in half and they were nearly killed by the two burly men, mostly because she wasn't even sure what to think. It wasn't that she was suddenly afraid of JJ, and what he was capable of, but more the fact she was scared of herself. Lynn was nearly ready to snap the roosters neck in half herself, and it scared her. If JJ had reached forward merely a few seconds later, she would've been the one to kill the favorite rooster from revealing their hiding spot.

"A family heirloom, what better place to hide a message? He had to know it was gonna get back to me, right?" John B argued, and they all shared a few glances, not necessarily believing the boy's words, but they weren't just going to admit that out loud.

"Yeah, it's possible," Kie agreed, shrugging her shoulders lightly as Lynn glanced over her shoulder to make eye contact with the girl, and her face wasn't very convincing.

"It could also be possible that you're concocting wild theories to help, you know, deal with your sad feels," Pope explained, and Lynn moved a leg from JJ's comfortable lap to kick Pope in his shin, who just raised his arms in a protective manner.

"Bro, you know how I process my sad feels," JJ added, hopefully adding a more lightened feeling to growing tension in the van. "Dank nugs and the stickiest of ickies, that's how I do it."

"I'm not concocting, okay?" John B argued, raising both of his shoulders as a shrug, his eyes leaving the road for a second as he glanced over one shoulder to glare at all of them. "My dads trying to give me a message."

"And if he is, we'll figure it out," Lynn stated, nodding towards everyone to make sure they were all on board, and slowly they all agreed. She placed a hand on John B's arm, careful not to interrupt his driving, and gave him a small, reassuring squeeze.

What Lynn didn't see, was the way JJ's jaw had clenched up when he saw the girl leaning on John B. His blue eyes didn't leave Lynn's and John B, until she released her grip and returned back to stretching her legs on JJ's lap.