✓ ELEVEN.

chapter eleven
"a little tootsie roll"

chapter eleven"a little tootsie roll"

      "WHO'S BIRD?"

      AFTER FINDING A small, white envelope that had 'for bird' scribbled on the top of it, Lynn had tossed it off to the rest of the crew as JJ helped her get back out the hole. He allowed her to wrap her fragile legs on his shoulders as she slithered out, and he gripped her thighs tightly so he could balance her full weight — his rings cold against her skin.

      "Eek," Lynn breathed out as she suddenly felt a bit uncomfortable being so high. She latched onto JJ's hair, probably yanking a few pieces out in the process. "JJ, you better not drop me!"

      "Oh, like this?" The boy dipped suddenly, and she let out a squeal as she gripped his head even tighter. "Be careful, princess, you might be ripping all my hair out."

      "Don't be an asshole, then," Lynn retorted back, and she placed her head so she was now glancing into his bright blue eyes, just upside down. "I like the view from here."

"Hm, yeah?" JJ teased, perking an eyebrow towards Lynn, but she only laughed it off and glanced back down to the crew. Slowly, and carefully, JJ bent down so that she could wiggle her legs off him and back onto the safety of the ground.

"Eh, now it looks weird from this angle," Lynn snickered, tiling her head to side with confusion as she placed a hand underneath her chin, fake checking out the boy.

"Rude," JJ responded, smirking at the girl, but then the grin faded as his eyes went past her, and towards the entrance of the cemetery. "Code red, code red! Square groupers!"

Lynn spun on her heels as she switched over her shoulder, and there was a sleek black vehicle approaching quickly, and it almost seemed like the two burly men who trashed John B's place earlier, "Shit!"

"Go, go!" Kie pointed towards the back of the Redfield cobblestone building, and the kids all fled in the direction as swiftly as they could. "Lights!"

As they all bent or knelt down at the ground, Lynn started fumbling with her bright headlight, but whatever button she was pushing wasn't actually shutting off the light.

"Lynn, your light!"

"I know," Lynn seethed through gritted teeth, and she yanked the whole thing off her head and slammed it on the ground, and surely, the light had disappeared.

"Well, that's one way to do it," Pope shrugged, staring down at the broken flashlight now in some mix of dirty grass and mud.