58

chapter fifty eight
"stay off the cut"

———

"THERE SHE BE, HEY GIRL."

Lynn followed JJ and Kie as they all entered the old, rusty warehouse that apparently held the Phantom. The racing boat that JJ's dad used to use, and apparently would win almost all of them.

"I better not be outsold by a freaking boat," Lynn retorted, rising an eyebrow at her boyfriend as he pulled the dusty sheet off of the boat.

"Of course not, baby," JJ responded, winking towards her before going back to staring at the boat. "A 1983 Formula 402 SR1, the Phantom."

JJ happily hummed while staring it, and both Kie and Lynn shared a jokingly concerned expression before turning back to JJ, who clicked his tongue to get their attention.

"The first boat to make the run to Bermuda in under sixteen hours, y'all," JJ grinned, and Lynn grinned herself at how happy JJ seemed to be in the moment. "Forty years old! Forty. And still the fastest thing that Kildare's ever seen."

"It's kind of a junker," Kie admitted, shrugging slightly whole her face seemed unimpressed.

"Really? She's right there, Kie, she can hear you!" JJ whined, pointing towards the boat with a straight face. Lynn let out a chuckle, but after earning a pointed glare from JJ, she bit in her bottom lip in hopes of stopping the laughs. "Let's just put it this way. You guys would not be smokin' weed right now if she never existed, okay?"

"Okay, I'm sold," Lynn caved, smiling towards JJ as she raised her arms up in the arm in defeat.

"I just hope it runs."

"Oh, no, she'll run alright," JJ answered, and he walked over towards the bow, and started fiddling with the boat trailer so they could attach it to Kie's car. "She's faster than any cutters the boys in boy got."

Kie and Lynn gazed past the boat as they heard a dirty bike wheels screech near the back of the warehouse. Lynn rolled her eyes as she checked her phone in her back pocket, revealing that Pope was almost ten minutes late.

"Pope, finally!"

"Wow, and he yelled at us to make sure we weren't late," Lynn grumbled a big, stuffing her phone back into her pocket as she helped JJ with cranking down the trailer so it would match the same level as the car.

"Right?" Kie rolled her eyes, and she hopped over the wrench and towards the back door of the warehouse.

"Hey there, what's goin' on?"

Lynn froze in her body as she immediately recognized the voice, and she quickly glanced up to make eye contact with JJ. The two blondes immediately stopped the cranking and gazed up to make eye contact with Rafe.

"JJ, oh, and the beautiful Evelynn Bardot, how you guys doin'?"

JJ jaw seemed to tense up when Rafe complimented her, and he moved his body so he would be standing in front of her.

"Great," Lynn grumbled, and she pushed past her overprotective boyfriend to step closer to Rafe. "Is there an app I can download to make you get the fuck away from me?"