53

chapter fifty three
"just your regular local person of interest"

———

"GOOD NEWS FOR RESIDENTS OF the Outer Banks. Dominion Power says their underwater transmission line, which will restore power to ninety percent of the area, should be functional within twenty four hours."

Lynn raised her head from laying it on JJ.s chest, where she was taking a quick cat nap since she had been up most of the night being a little guard. In case anyone were to come near the jeep the kids were hiding out in, because they couldn't go to anyones home without risking the cops coming and finding John B.

Who was apparently being framed for Peterkin murder.

JJ peered down to the girl with gentle eyes, hoping that him playing around with his lighter by flicking open and closed didn't wake her. She smiled happily while seeing his dirty red hat was tipped down to cover his eyes, and thought the boy looked so cute in the moment.

The good moment seemed interrupted when they heard police sirens in the distance. JJ had a bad habit of always moving and glancing out the window towards them, and every time Lynn would smack his head back down.

"JJ, can you put your big ass head down instead of looking up every time you hear a cop?" Lynn joked, narrowing her blue eyes a bit threatening at the boy, because he out of everyone was going to give away their hiding spot.

They were in some wooden garage that belonged to a friend of Lynn's fathers, one who often came over the house to share some alcohol with her father. She had heard that he had two places, one in Figure Eight and one here in the Cut because there was an amazing fishing hole only a minute down the road.

JJ rolled his eyes sarcastically, dipping his head back under the window so the passing police vehicle wouldn't be able to see him. Lynn then replaced her head back on his chest, and he raised his hand to gently drag his index finger up and down her forearm.

"And still, no arrest in the shooting death of Sheriff Susan Peterkin," the man on the radio stated, and internally all the kids cringed, mostly because it was the tenth time they had heard radio news about John B. "The state police have issued a statement regarding a local person of interest, a juvenile from—"

Lynn glanced forward towards Kie and Pope in the front two seats as she heard the radio being angrily switched off, and saw an annoyed glare on Kie's face.

"Let's game this out. Maybe you guys can help, being the smart ones and all, but..." JJ trailed, taking a nice, big hit of the blunt he had rolled about an hour or so ago. "Who are the cops going to believe? Ward Cameron, or us? So, the accuser is a big shot developer, kind of lord of the island, got the governor on speed dial kind of person, and the accused...is John B, who is pretty much a homeless sixteen year old boy at the moment."

If the moment wasn't already so tense and awkward, Lynn would've laughed at the way that JJ phrased it, but didn't feel like earning odd glances.

"Thanks," John B fake smiled towards his best friend, who only shrugged softly as a response.

"Shit," Pope groaned, rubbing his temples, probably in hopes of getting rid of the headache from one, John B and the crew on the run from the cops, and two, getting so high last night for it being his first time.

"Okay, man. Yucatan, alright? I'm saying that's the only option. What other option do you have?" JJ stated, and Lynn get up from her relaxing position on his chest since his voice was echoing so loud in his ear.

"Enough with the Mexico bullshit, alright?" John B retorted, and Lynn rolled her blue eyes as she crossed her arms overhear chest dramatically. "Sarah's gonna bail me out."

"She did witness the whole thing," Kie added, and Lynn nibbled at her pink lip nervously.

"Thank you."

She truly thought that Sarah would do the right thing, the right thing in being turning in her brother for the murder of Sheriff Peterkin so John B, her boyfriend, would be off the hook.

But the more she thought about it, the more she worried that Sarah would be too caught up in the fact that Rafe's family, even if he was an ass she would always love him.

It just mattered who she loved more, her family or John B, and the fact she would live the rest of her life knowing that her brothers a murderer and wasn't held accountable.

"And she's gonna snitch on her brother?" Pope questioned, and then she peered over her shoulder when she heard JJ shuffling in his seat beside her.

"Not happening, bro, okay?" JJ explained, but Lynn was way more focused on how sexy the boy looked while he was letting out a puff of smoke from the blunt. "We've gotta get you off the island."

Lynn took the small blunt from JJ's finger tips, and the boy was about to protest, but it was already too late because the girl sucked in the smoke quickly. She had gotten used to the taste by now, and it was basically second nature by now. JJ and Lynn had been smoking together for as long as the two could remember.

"The ferry," Pope spoke up swiftly. "It's the only way."

"C'mon, John B's just gonna look even more suspicious fleeing out of the island and boating down to Mexico," Lynn stated, and everyone glanced over to her since she was especially quiet during this conversation.

"Exit stage left while you still can. Before the entire island is on lockdown," JJ continued, furrowing his eyebrows at his girlfriend, not really understanding how the two were on completely seperate pages. "He's gotta, Sarah aint gonna speak up."

"You don't know that," Lynn defended, letting out an annoyed puff of air while passing the blunt back to her boy. "Sarahs a good person, she won't let Rafe get away with this."

"You don't know that."

Lynn was getting more and more irritated by the second, she wasn't sure why John B had to leave in the first place. This could all be handled as best as it possibly can if John B were to turn himself in, and not be on the run from the cops. It'll only make him more and more suspicious as the time goes by.

"Guys, just get down," Kie interrupted the feuding couple, and Lynn turned away from facing JJ to where her he was now looking at her back.

"Sarah's not a Pogue," Pope added.

"Just because she's not a Pogue doesn't mean she won't do the right thing."

a/n: yay! getting back into regular daily posting :) it's a lil bit boring from episode 9 on (at least for me) so i was bored and didn't feel like writing the last eps but we're working on it😂