48

chapter forty eight
"rock bottom"

———

"WHAT NOW? WE JUST GO up to the front door and ask, 'hey, have you seen John B?'"

Lynn ran her spare hand, that wasn't on the boat steering wheel, through her messy blonde locks. She was flustered, because she was worried about John B and how badly of a wreck he was. She was stressed he'd do something that would fuck his whole life up, and the Pogue crew wouldn't be able to help him.

Currently, everyone excluding John B was on the Pogue tied off to the dock at Tannyhill. They were all steadily watching the huge mansion that laid out on the land, waiting for any basic movement to tell them what was going on. Lynn had actually drove them down, surprisingly, because they almost never let her drive.

'Previous traumatic experiences', they say.

Lynn was sitting on the captains chair with her feet resting on the wheel, she was anxiously bouncing one knee up and down while her ocean blue eyes never left the house. JJ was standing directly behind her, his hands rubbing her shoulders gently in hopes of possibly calming the girl down, but it wasn't helping much.

"Look, he lives at Tannyhill now," Kie argued, pointing over to the massive white building. "It's plausible. We can play dumb."

"Play dumb?" JJ questioned, and he moved his head where he wasn't staring down at Lynn to glare a bit at Kie. Lynn knew how worried Kie was about John B, possibly even more than she was, but she thought it was because deep down Kie had always pushed away feelings for John B.

"It's pretty late."

"Look, I've never seen John B like that," Kie stated, and Lynn slightly shrugged her shoulders in agreement. John B's always been the one with a plan, and he never does anything reckless or impulsive like his two blonde best friends. "We should honestly be going to the cops."

"The cops—yeah, and say what, Kie?" JJ asked, and Lynn could tell in his tone of voice he was getting agitated quickly. "We're worried about our friend because he's on a rampage because Ward Cameron killed Big John? Like, they're not gonna believe us!"

"JJ's kinda got a point," Lynn pursed her lips towards Kie, but she only shot a glare towards her blonde best friend. She furrowed her eyebrows, not knowing why Kie was being so blatantly rude.

"Hey, I see Ward," Pope spoke up, and everyone in the boat all glanced over to the boy at the stern. He now had a pair of black binoculars in his hand, and Lynn didn't even see him grab them earlier.

"Let me see," Kie demanded, moving away from Lynn and JJ so she could grab the binoculars from Pope.

Lynn jumped up from her seat, and while being quickly followed by JJ, they both made their way over to the front of the boat. And there he was, Ward was walking out the door towards the side of the house, alive.

"Doesn't look dead to me," Pope shrugged, and then he walked away from Kie and towards the steering wheel. "Let's go home."

"What?"

Lynn met eye contact with JJ, and they both shared a nervous expression. Everyone knew why Pope wanted to go home, because of his impotent scholarship was in the morning. But Kie seemed adamant that they stay here at the house, maybe in hopes of seeing John B.