52

chapter fifty two
"dark side"

———

"JOHN B, WHAT ARE WE doing at the police station?"

Lynn nervously picked at her bottom lip while she glanced over to her boy, who looked equally as anxious and confused as she did. Currently, the Pogues were pulling up right beside the police station in the green jeep they were borrowing from Kie's family. They weren't exactly sure why they were here, since John B only directed Kie towards here without any other words.

Everyone was shocked to their cores when they heard the troubling news from John B about what actually went down at the air strip. She always knew there was something wrong with Rafe, but the fact he could go so far batshit crazy to shoot the sheriff in some weird attempt to protect his father was whirling Lynn's head.

"Somebody's gotta tell them what happened," John B answered lowly, and even though she didn't like the idea of going to the police, mostly because they've never helped her once throughout her entire life, but if he thought it was a good idea then it was worth trying.

They were distracted for a moment when suddenly Pope started coughing obnoxiously loud, and Lynn raised an eyebrow at the boy as he let out a huge puff of smoke.

Ever since earlier this afternoon, Pope had been going crazy on JJ's vape. Now though, he was sucking on a blunt that JJ had rolled only minutes earlier. He had to be high by now, but he wasn't really showing it other than his much chiller he was then usual.

"Easy there, chief. Damn," JJ joked, but then after a moment he turned back to John B. "Alright, I'm just gonna be real with you right now. You might end up in the lions den, but you don't go there on purpose."

Lynn shrugged her shoulders along with JJ, agreeing with his somewhat inspirational small speech.

"J's got a point," Lynn chimed in, but John B didn't seem phased as he glanced back to the two blondes sitting all the way in the back of the van.

"It's fundamental," JJ continued, grinning towards his girl as she shyly placed a hand on his upper thigh, not that the rest of the crew would notice. "Just like my old man always told me, you should never ever trust cops, not matter what the circumstance is."

Lynn's face cringed when JJ mentioned his father, and her mind drifted back to her own father. Only JJ knows the abuse she goes through, not the rest of her best friends. And if it almost killed her telling JJ, how would she feel telling the rest? And how would they react when she told the secret she had been keeping for so long?

"Your old mans an abusive liar," Kie interrupted, and Lynn slowly shifted her back so she would be leaning against the glass window.

"I agree with JJ and Lynn," Pope stated, and it was almost weird hearing him side with them rather than the usual smart heads. "Fuck the police."

Lynn snorted at how hilarious the high, chill side of Pope was. The kids all started at Pope with a bit of disbelief, almost shocked that the words actually came from his mouth.

"You goin' to the dark side now?" Kie asked sarcastically, and Lynn made an offended face towards her best friend.

"What, me and JJ are bad?" Lynn almost scoffed, and Kie suddenly felt a bit more awkward at how the phrase sounded. "If you're going to call us bad, at least put ass after it."