✓ FIFTEEN.

chapter fifteen
"greedy pelicans"

      "WHO KNEW STEALING DRONES MAKES you so hungry?"

The teenagers were all emptying the van parked out front of Kie's parents restaurant, The Wreck as their stomachs rumbled with hunger. As soon as JJ and Lynn were both out, Lynn decided to hop onto JJ's back. She quickly wrapped her slender legs around his waist while she tucked her arms over his shoulders, and the boy hooked his hands over her thighs to make sure she wouldn't slip down. The girl couldn't see, but JJ grinned from ear to ear as soon as he felt her body on the back of his.

The two hadn't talked a word about the supposed fake alibi that JJ used to get out of the salvage yard — instead telling the crew that they hide away on a boat until the dog gave up, and that was when they snuck out the fence.

"What I would do to a beer and shrimp and grits right now," JJ practically moaned, and Lynn let out a laugh as she placed her chin on top of his right shoulder.

Lynn was softly spooked when suddenly she felt JJ's lips pressed against her cheek, that left just as quick as they arrived, and she tilted her head so she could just barely make eye contact with the boy. She tried to not look as surprised as she was, but unfortunately, it seemed as if her bright red cheeks were revealing it all by themselves.

"What was that for?" Lynn smiled, happy the darkness had set in because she was sure no one could spot her delicately rosy cheeks.

"For being there for me," JJ responded, flashing a smile, not a smirk or anything sarcastic, but a real, genuine smile. "You're like my partner in crime, you know? We're two troublemakers, outcast from the rest."

JJ took a moment to unhook her hand from Lynn's thigh, to raise his arm across the horizon. The girl let out a small laugh at him and his usual dorkiness, the smile lingering on her face.

"Well, I'm honored you think of me as your partner in crime," Lynn stated happily, and now had noticed that they were entering the restaurant. She climbed down from his grip, and almost instantly the boy was missing how close their bodies were.

The kids piled into the restaurant, and immediately Lynn noticed Mr. C standing behind the register while folding some napkins. Kie was the first one in, and dropped her hands on the wooden counter as she said hello to her dad. Lynn appeared behind her, and she wrapped her arms over Kie's shoulders, embracing the girl in a hug from behind.

"Hi, Mr. C," Lynn smiled, flashing a toothy smile towards the man with a wave.

She loved Mr. C, and he loved how good Kie and her got along, and liked her a hell of a lot better than the boys — which seemed to be a reoccurring theme with the parents of her best friends. When Mr. C and Lynn first met, he had heard about how Lynn's father wasn't always there to get dinner on the table for her, so he had told the girl she was always welcome to get a bite at The Wreck if she needed one. She'd probably call him more of a father than her actual blood relative.