50

chapter fifty
"the whole enchilada"

———

"YOU SURE HE GOT EVERYTHING?"

The Pogue crew, excluding Pope since he had his important scholarship interview this morning, were relaxing at the dock that led to the Chateau. Lynn and JJ were sitting side by side on the wooden posts, their legs dangling above the water. She was leaning her head gently on JJ's shoulder, just enjoying his skin touching hers. Kie was sitting behind them on another post, and then John B was sprawled out on the wood with extended legs.

John B had just told the rest of the kids that when he visited Crain's house for the gold, it turned out that Ward had already gotten to it first. So, it was the end of their adventure for the treasure gold.

"Every bar," John B sighed, and he fiddled with his blue cast for a moment. "The whole enchilada."

"I can't believe he got it," Lynn shook her head while glancing down to her feet. "After everything we did."

"It's not like I expected a happy ending or some shit," John B started, and Lynn glanced over her shoulder to flash him a sympathetic expression.

John B finally managed to slide the annoying cast off his wrist, and the inside looked absolutely disgusting. Lynn would've commented on how gross it was if the mood wasn't depressing as hell.

"John B—"

"What, Kie? It's a hairline fracture, who cares?" John B muttered, interrupting the girl as she was protesting against him taking off his cast ahead of time.

"You should care," Kie retorted, folding her arms over her chest dramatically. "Your arms gonna be messed up for life."

"Good thing he isn't trying to be a professional football player," Lynn joked, but after earning a deadpanned face from Kie, she slowly quieted down.

"It's fine, see?" John B answered, wiggling around his fingers while he slightly twisted his wrist to the left.

"Guys! Guys!"

Lynn immediately jerked her head up from JJ and over her shoulder when she heard the yelling. She titled her head to the side like a confused puppy when she saw Pope, who looked completely out of breath, running up from the dock.

"The hell?" Lynn asked confusingly, he was supposed to be in the middle of his interview, no?

"Oh, God," Pope muttered, placing his hands on his knees as he tried to catch his breath back up. His shirt was sweaty under his armpits and neck, and it was dripping down his forehead. "I ran all the way here."

"You alright?"

"How was the interview, Pope?" JJ spoke up, but his voice sounded a bit horse, like he had just been woken up from a little cat nap.

"Don't ask," Pope shook his head, and the statement worried Lynn a little bit. Had it gone bad? Did he not get the scholarship? "JB. Look, I'm sorry, dude. About everything."

"It's fine," John B answered quickly, but he didn't sound very confident, and he didn't even look over to Pope when he was talking.

"But-but I don't have a lot of time, and I have information that is tactically relevant. So, before I had my interview, my dad said he was going down to the private airstrip to cut palms for Cameron's big plane. Because it was too heavy, it needed a longer landing strip to take off," Pope explained, and at first the group were utterly confused, but as the boy continued on, it started to make sense. "So, I'm sitting there in my interview, thinking to myself. 'Hm, why would Cameron need a longer airstrip to take off?' What could be so heavy to weigh it down?"

"Gold," JJ and Lynn said that the same time, and they both smiled proudly at each other as they realized.

"Jinx! You can't talk until I say your name three times!" Lynn grinned as she was able to get out the words out before JJ could. He widely gasped the girl, but didn't mutter a single word, knowing the rules of jinx.

"Exactly!" Pope exclaimed excitedly, ignoring the two blondes as they flirted over the jinx. "Guys, this is our chance. But it leaves tonight, and we have to go."

"Guys, we can't give up now!" Kie smiled ear to ear, jumping off the wooden post she was on.

As JJ peeled open his mouth to say something, Lynn narrowed her eyes teasingly at him, and he quickly clasped his lips back shut.

"So, what we doin', JB?" Lynn grinned towards the brunette, who looked like he had just gotten back his whole spirit.

"We're gonna steal that shit back."

•••

"You're lucky I was starting to miss your voice."

Lynn narrowed her eyes suspiciously at JJ with a slight smirk, mostly just because a moment or so ago, she said his name three times to break the jinx. Mostly because she missed him. 

"We go in there, guns-a-blazin'."

Lynn rolled her ocean blue eyes as she saw how JJ was adding more bullets to the gun, and she wasn't even quite sure where he had gotten them in the first place.

The crew were on their way to the plane strip, with all hopes that Cameron hadn't left yet and they still had a chance to steal the gold back. Lynn just had a bad feeling about the whole situation, and she couldn't just push that troubling worry down.

"Make Ward Cameron beg for mercy, and one with as much gold as possible and vámpnos, get the hell out of there," JJ continued his statement, and he sent a confident grin towards his girl, who equally smiled back.

"Send that shit right down the Intracoastal," John B nodded, glancing to the two blondes in the rear view mirror as he was driving.

"Wait for weather," Kie added, and Lynn nodded beside her best friend.

She peered over her shoulder as JJ cocked the gun, and her eyes racked his handsome body as he looked completely hot with the handgun in one hand and the other raised up. He easily saw how concentrated Lynn was on his body, so a little smirk took over his face.

"Exit to Cuba."

"Cuba? No, man, Xxalak, jewel of the Yucatan," JJ shook his head at Pope, and Lynn let out a little laugh as she leaned her body against the back of John B's leather seat.

"Yucatan!" Lynn exclaimed happily, but as she received odd glances from everyone in the van, she sounded a little softer.

"Lobsters so thick, mangoes, and no word for money," JJ continued, raising his fist towards Lynn, and when both fist bumped, they made exploding noises.

"Let's do this shit!"

a/n: thank you guys for almost 70k reads omg! and i've only had this book for about a month🥺