41

chapter forty one
"cash for gold"

———

"HELL OF A JOB MELTING it down, Dr. Frankenstein."

Lynn and the crew piled out of the van in front of the pawn shop they were going to try to sell the gold to. Kie earlier had melted it down, but did a poor job where it looked like an awkward pile of intentionally melted down gold; that would be only harder to sell.

"Like you could've done any better," Kie retorted, narrowing her feisty brown eyes at JJ.

"I could have done much better," JJ countered, and Lynn only rolled her eyes at her boy always having to be right. "I took a weilding class."

"When?"

"Whoa, whoa, hey," John B spoke up, placing himself in between Kie and JJ, who looked completely ready to tear out each other's eyes. "Chill out, okay?"

Lynn tugged on the hand that wasn't carrying to the awfully melted gold, and JJ glanced down to her, and instantly, his eyes softened up looking at his girlfriend.

"Easy for you to say that, you're not the ones that have to pawn this piece of shit off," JJ responded towards John B, and Lynn let out a chuckle. "How did we get this job anyway?"

"Yeah, why do I have I have to go with him?" Lynn questioned, crossing her arms over her chest. It was decided earlier that both JJ and Lynn would try to pawn the gold off, together.

"'Cause y'all are the best liars."

Both Lynn and JJ rolled their eyes dramatically, and together, made their way into the pawn shop. The teenagers followed them, but started walking around the store rather than up front with them.

"Afternoon, ma'am," JJ spoke up as he entered the store, and Lynn's eyes landed on an older lady standing behind the counter. Lynn flashed her a polite smile, but the woman didn't seem to believe it.

"Afternoon," she responded, her voice full of edge and a bit of confusion.

"I see you buy gold," JJ stated, and he started tugging a bit on the backpack he was wearing.

"That's what the sign say, don't it?"

Lynn tilted her head to the side, not knowing why this woman was so sarcastic and rude, especially towards her boyfriend. But if they wanted to sell this gold; surely Lynn couldn't rip the woman's head off.

"Well, I sure hope you buy a lot of it, because I'm about to blow your mind," JJ smirked, but the woman only narrowed her old eyes at him.

"I ain't got much mind left to blow, so have at it," she replied, giving a slight shrug.

Lynn unclipped the backpack open, and then pulled out the large chunk of gold wrapped in a blue towel. She then placed it on the counter in front of the older lady, and raised an eyebrow at her with cockiness.

"How 'bout them gold apples?" JJ smirked, and he glanced over to Lynn for a second, and then back to the lady.

"That ain't real."